How to Contact Your Loved One at New Haven Correctional Center
New Haven Correctional Center is a level 4 high-security prison in New Haven, Connecticut. It houses pretrial offenders and serves the superior courts in Waterbury, Meriden, Bantam, Litchfield, and New Haven. It's also known as Whalley Ave Jail.
The facility opened in 1976 on 4.9 acres. It comprises the main building, two dormitory units, and an external detail unit. The facility's current inmate population is 661 as of December 2021.
It has a Mental Health Department that provides various programs to inmates with depression and stress. The programs include psycho-education, community groups, and emotional literacy.
Also, it has an Education Department. This department identifies non-English speaking inmates and refers them to English educators.
Contacting an inmate at New Haven Correctional Center on your own can be challenging. But DoNotPay makes the whole process a breeze!
New Haven Correctional Center Contact Information
The New Haven CC is behind the Juvenile facility on Whalley Avenue. Its current warden is Christopher Brunelle. Here is the basic facility contact information:
|Physical address||New Haven Correctional Center
245 Whalley Avenue
New Haven, CT 06511
|Phone number||(203) 974-4111|
How to Contact an Inmate at New Haven Correctional Center on Your Own
Inmates are allowed approved visitors during the time and day corresponding to their current locations and classifications - dorm area, main building, and security risk group.
- Main Building
- Monday, Thursday, and Saturday: 8:45 am to 10:45 am and 8 pm to 9:45 pm
- Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday: 1 pm to 2:45 pm and 6:30 pm to 7:45 pm
- Dorm Area
- Monday, Thursday, and Saturday: 1 pm to 2:45 pm and 6:30 pm to 7:45 pm
- Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday: 8:45 am to 10.45 am and 8 pm to 9:45 pm
Wednesday and State Holidays are no-visitors days
- All visits are non-contact.
- You may visit just once a day.
- Your loved one has only one visit per visiting block
- No more than two persons can visit an inmate at once (including children).
- A designated adult visitor must accompany children. Children should not wander around in the visiting room
- You must sign-up 15 minutes before the visiting session
- Acceptable Identification: Valid Photo identification such as CT DMV-issued ID, Official Passport, and Driver's License must be accompanied by a Social Security card and Birth Certificate (with a Raised Seal). The institution doesn't accept resident IDs and check cashing
Before visiting your loved one, you must be a member of the inmate's approved visitors list.
An inmate can set up this list once they arrive at the institution. Be sure the inmate has designated you as a visitor on the list (they should inform you about this).
If you plan to visit your loved one, you must apply for the visiting session and get approved in advance.
The inmate’s counselor will send you the visiting application form. Mail a duly filled and signed form back to the counselor and wait up to 3 weeks for approval.
Learn more about inmate visitation here.
Inmates at the New Haven Correctional Center are allowed to receive mail. All correspondence must have the inmate's full name and registration number. The inmate mailing address should read as follows:
Inmate Name, ID Number
New Haven Correctional Center
PO Box 8000
New Haven, CT 06511
If you plan to send books or magazines, be sure they're new. They should be packaged and shipped by the bookshop or publisher.
Friends and family cannot send clothing packages to their loved ones in New Haven Correctional Center.
The institution does not allow inmates to receive incoming calls. However, phones are available for inmates to make outgoing calls to approved phone numbers during the day. Be sure to set up a direct bill or prepaid AdvanceConnect Securus account to receive calls.
How to Send Money to an Inmate at New Haven Correctional Center
Inmates can receive money via:
- US Mail - Send your money order together with Inmate Trust Fund Remitter Form to:
- Inmate Trust Fund
P.O. Box 290800
Wethersfield, CT 06129-0800
The money order must have your loved one's full name and registration number.
- JPAY - JPAY's One-Click Payments allow you to add money with debit or credit cards.
- TouchPay - www.touchpayonline.com also allows you to send money to your loved one using credit and debit cards
- Western Union: Remember to indicate the following:
- Pay To:
Code City: CTDOC
Account: 8-digit Inmate Number and Inmate Last Name
Difficulties You May Have Contacting a Loved One in New Haven Correctional Center
You may have quite a few difficulties when trying to contact a loved one at New Haven Correctional Center. Some of those situations are not being an approved visitor, sending prohibited items, not knowing the correct visiting hours, or abiding by the dress code.
You must familiarize yourself with the rules of the institution to avoid delays in your mailing, verbal, or in-person communication. It can be difficult and overwhelming to prepare yourself and learn the rules specific to the facility.
The Foolproof Way to Connect With Your Loved One via DoNotPay
Getting in touch via phone calls, physical visits, or letters may be challenging and costly due to complications setting up the necessities.
That's why DoNotPay brings you Connect With an Inmate to make the process a breeze:
- Head over to your DoNotPay account
- Choose whether you wish to locate an inmate, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter
- Wish to find your loved one? Give us their personal details and the state they're located in. Submit! Within seconds, you will get the results.
Wish to create a virtual mailbox? Give us your full name, and we will set it up automatically. You can start getting mail within seconds!
Want to send a personalized letter? Provide us with the facility's name and your message. You can include an image too! We will deliver the letter automatically.
DoNotPay Can Help You Locate Your Imprisoned Friend
DoNotPay can then assist you with these five easy steps!
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive for your loved one!
And that's it! It’s the fastest and easiest way to connect with your incarcerated loved one.
How Else Can DoNotPay Help Me?
DoNotPay is the world’s first robot lawyer! We’re known for helping our customers fight parking tickets and send demand letters, but we offer so many other services. Here are some of our most popular services:
- We can help you set up a mailing service
- We can notarize any documents
- We can stop spam texts
- We can help you discover and apply for college scholarships
Visit DoNotPay to learn more about how we can simplify your life with just a few clicks.