What Are The Netflix Terms of Service?
Unappealing page upon page of long paragraphs with legal jargon–is it any wonder everyone accepts the Terms of Service on virtually every platform without actually taking the time to read it? Unfortunately, that does sometimes come back to bite you. If you are concerned about what data Netflix is collecting about you and how they're using it or you've been banned and are trying to figure out why, DoNotPay can help you analyze Netflix's Terms of Service.
Netflix Terms of Service
Who Can Use Netflix
Netflix users must be over 18. If a minor wishes to use the service, they must use a profile on an account belonging to a person over 18. The account owner is responsible for all account activity. If the device you use to access Netflix is stolen, you should deactivate the device from the Account page on Netflix's website. A hold may be placed on the account if Netflix suspects there is fraudulent activity.
Changes Netflix Can Make to Their Service
Netflix reserves the right to change the price of a subscription. Most changes will come into effect after you are notified. Content available on the service may vary by location and over time as licensing agreements with content owners change. Netflix can also update the payment information you have in your account using information they collect from payment service providers (e.g. Square).
How You Might Violate Netflix Terms of Service
Netflix explicitly mentions several things you cannot do with their service, including:
- Circumventing any content protection such as location-based licensing.
- Unauthorized downloading or reproduction of content.
- Web scraping or data mining of the Netflix site or service.
Data Netflix Collects While You Are a Subscriber
Netflix breaks its data collection into four categories:
- Information you provide to them such as contact and billing information.
- Information they collect while you are actively using the service, including content selection and customer service interaction.
- Information from partner companies like your internet provider.
- Information from other sources.
Netflix collects several data points to ensure your rights are being respected and to better tailor your experience on the service. They may collect
- Your internet search history related to Netflix
- Your IP address or other location information
- Publicly available posts on social media platforms
Consequences of Violating Netflix TOS
Netflix can restrict your access to their services or block you completely from service for violation of its terms of service. If a hold is placed on your account, you are not entitled to an account credit or prorated discount for the time you were unable to access the service.
How to Get Unbanned from Netflix
If you have been banned from Netflix and are reading the Terms of Service to try and get your account reinstated, DoNotPay can accelerate the process. If you have not violated the Terms of Service, you can write an appeal letter yourself and submit it with any supporting evidence to Netflix.
Analyze Netflix Terms of Service Quickly and Easily with DoNotPay
If you want to analyze Netflix's Terms of Service but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Go to the Analyze Terms and Services product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the website domain you would like to scan.
- Wait for DoNotPay to identify any legal violations on the website (it should only take a few seconds!) If there are violations, proceed to drafting a demand letter.
- Enter how much you want to receive in compensation and the company name.
- Enter your contact information so the company can contact you.
How to Sue Netflix for TOS violations
DoNotPay will generate a demand letter on your behalf with every legal violation we identified that you can send to the company. If Netflix violates their Terms of Service and doesn't comply with your demand for compensation, you can escalate the case to Small Claims Court.
Analyze Any Platform's Terms of Service with DoNotPay
DoNotPay can help you spot TOS violations with any company in five simple steps. Don't waste your time and energy trying to interpret a wall of text - let DoNotPay do the work for you! We have information on these services and many more:
Handle Other Legal Tasks with DoNotPay
If you have infrequent legal needs, finding a lawyer for an immediate need can be difficult, and having a lawyer at your disposal can get expensive. DoNotPay wants to save you money and time by helping you take care of what you can on your own. DoNotPay can streamline:
- Appealing parking tickets
- Getting copyright protection
- Creating a Power of Attorney
- Filing a Complaint
- Completing a Child Travel Consent form
And more! Try DoNotPay today to simplify your minor legal needs.