Is Your Apartment Shaking From a Neighbor’s Loud Bass? Here’s What To Do
Having to listen to the sound of bass—whether it’s coming from the sound system or the actual instrument—is annoying and can be disturbing to some. Even hearing-impaired people can feel the vibrations coming from it, which can upset them.
In this article, you will find some tips and tricks for dealing with your neighbor's loud bass. If they fail to work, to send a demand letter to your neighbor about the noise and inform them about potential consequences.
The reason why the sound of bass disturbs you is that its vibrations can travel through solid materials. When your neighbor plays the bass guitar or bass-heavy music, you can both hear and feel it.
While you can ignore loud melody music, it’s more difficult to disregard the sound of the bass. You can try wearing earplugs or playing your music to cover it, but only soundproofing the whole apartment might work.
Before calling the cops or filing a complaint against your neighbor for playing the bass, you might want to try soundproofing your apartment. Check the table below to see some soundproofing techniques:
|Soundproofing Technique||How It Works|
|Hanging soundproofing curtains and blankets||The best way to reduce the impact of a loud bass is to block the noise from outside by covering all air gaps. Curtains and blankets from the soundproofing materials are the best options for covering your doors and windows|
|Putting draft stoppers under the door foot||Another way to cover air gaps and prevent the sound and vibrations from coming into your apartment is by placing draft stoppers under the foot of your door. This will help you cover the gap between the door and the floor. Draft stoppers are one of the cheaper soundproofing solutions|
|Installing dampening door seals||Installing dampening door seals is the cheapest and one of the most highly effective ways to soundproof your apartment. They are easy to install and nearly unnoticeable|
|Soundproofing floors and ceilings||If noisy neighbors live above or below you, the best way to reduce the sound and vibrations is to soundproof your floors and ceilings. You can do that by placing heavy rugs on the floor or installing soundproofing curtains and blankets or acoustic foam on the ceiling|
|Placing acoustic foam on the walls||Acoustic foam panels can absorb all bass vibrations that pass through walls. They are specifically designed for music rooms, but you can also get them for your apartment. Besides absorbing the bass vibrations, acoustic foam panels improve home acoustics by softening all sound inside the house or apartment|
|Using bass traps||Acoustic foam bass traps capture all the noise going through the wall. You can place them in the corners of your apartment to absorb vibrations and low-frequency sound coming from your neighbor’s bass|
Whether you live in a big city or a small town, certain ordinances protect citizens from all those blasting noises at night. Most states prohibit playing loud music after 10 p.m., and if your neighbor is ignoring this rule, you should do something about it. Here is what we recommend:
- Talk to them—Don’t be passive-aggressive. Go to your neighbor’s apartment and tell them about the problem. Talk to them politely, inform them about the problem, and offer suggestions. Don’t be offensive, and don’t threaten them. The nicer you are, the more likely they’ll turn the music down
- Ask the landlord for help—If you are renting, ask your landlord if they can do something about your problem. They might be willing to soundproof the apartment for you or compensate you for it
- Get other neighbors involved—If you live in a building, you’re not the only one bothered by the bass. Your problematic neighbor will more likely change their behavior if you complain together
- Talk to the building management—Take the issue to the management of your building if your neighbor doesn’t respond to the complaints. Ask the president of the house council to take appropriate measures per the building ordinances
- Issue a demand letter—Give your neighbor another chance before taking legal action and suing them for noise. Use DoNotPay to create a demand letter informing them about the consequences
- Report them to the authorities—If nothing else works, it’s time to call in the big guns—literally. If you’ve tried everything and the neighbor is louder than ever, maybe they’ll listen to a law officer
Stop losing your sleep and mind over the neighbor’s loud bass. and follow these steps to make a demand letter:
- Choose the Neighbor Complaint tool
- Select your problem—e.g., pets, noise, or harassment
- Describe the issue by answering our chatbot’s questions
We’ll generate a demand letter that holds the following information:
- Your complaint
- Arbitration notice
- The compensation amount you’re seeking
- Information about legal actions you’ll have to take if your neighbor doesn’t respond
Use our learning center to inform yourself about other noise-related issues with bad neighbors:
- How to deal with hearing neighbors having loud sex
- How to block noise from the next-door neighbors
- What to do about the loud-walking upstairs neighbors
- How to get revenge on the noisy neighbors
- What to do when you can hear your neighbors through the wall
- How to stop your neighbor’s dog from barking
When you’re in a bind but you can’t afford a lawyer, there is still something you can do—sign up for DoNotPay and let our award-winning app give you a hand. With our expertise, the following tasks will be a piece of cake:
- Taking people or companies to small claims court
- Disputing parking tickets
- Keeping your work protected against copyright infringement
- Drawing up legal documents
- Getting a child travel consent form
- Fighting workplace discrimination
- Solving issues with your neighbors
- Getting protected from stalkers or harassers
- Receiving crime victim compensation
- Dealing with email or text spam and robocalls
Our AI-driven app comes in handy for numerous bureaucratic or administrative chores that usually take up a lot of time. With DoNotPay’s speedy service, even the most tiresome task will be complete in a flash!
You can forget all about waiting in line at the DMV and being on hold with customer service—we will get you to the finish line in a few clicks. Tired of the old snail mail? Use DoNotPay to mail letters fast. Better yet—fax your documents using our app. If your document requires a notary’s signature, we can assist you in scheduling a virtual appointment.