What You Need to Know to Connect with an Inmate at Nebraska State Penitentiary
Nebraska State Penitentiary (NSP) is located in Lincoln, Nebraska, and it's the state's largest and oldest prison. The facility opened in 1869, and until after World War I, it was the only adult correctional facility in Nebraska. It's a mixed custody facility with the capacity to house over 1,300 inmates.
If you have a friend or loved one in NSP, you need to know the rules to contact them. Whether you're interested in visiting in person, or you want to write a letter to an inmate, DoNotPay knows how to navigate the system and make communication easier.
Where is Nebraska State Penitentiary?
Unlike many prisons that are found in rural locations, Nebraska State Penitentiary is located near the western edge of Lincoln, Nebraska in Lancaster County. The warden is Michele Wilhelm. Since it's been in operation since 1869, there have been many projects over the years to update the facilities, the most recent one in 2020.
Here is the general contact information for NSP
|Physical Address||Nebraska State Penitentiary
4201 S 14th St
Lincoln, NE 68502
|General Email||Public Information Officer: Allyson Bennett
How to Contact Nebraska State Penitentiary Inmates
If you're interested in contacting an inmate at NSP, there are a few ways you can go about it.
- All visitors must be on the inmate's pre-approved visitor list.
- Health screenings are no longer required, but if you're not feeling well, you're asked to reschedule your visit.
- Face masks are optional.
- Multiple guests attending the same visit may use the same registration form. However, you must list the full names and contact information of all visitors.
- Children of any age are allowed to visit when accompanied by an adult. The children's names must also be on the form.
- Visit times are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. You will be notified by email a minimum of three days before your visit.
- Include alternate preferred times for your visit, in case your first preference is unavailable.
- Notify the facility as soon as you can if you must cancel.
You are not allowed to send packages to prisoners, but if you wish to write a letter to a loved one or a prison pen pal, you may. The staff will photocopy all personal mail and then give copies to the inmate, in order to prevent contraband from getting into the prison. You may send letters, cards, pictures, and drawings. You must address letters to inmates this way:
Inmate Name, ID Number
Nebraska State Penitentiary
P.O. Box 2500
Lincoln, NE 68542-2500
Inmates are not allowed to receive incoming calls, although they may make collect calls or calls through the phone service provider GTL. To set up and fund a phone account for an inmate, visit the GTL ConnectNetwork website here. You will be charged a fee plus a per-minute rate for each call.
Problems You May Encounter When Reaching Out to an Inmate at the Nebraska State Penitentiary
Getting in touch with a friend or a loved one who is incarcerated can be confusing and exhausting with all the restrictions. Here are some inevitable difficulties that you may have:
- Your mail could get returned or end up in the wrong hands because of a single mistake with the inmate’s name and ID number.
- Restrictions on the packages that you can send.
- Unannounced and immediate cancellation of visiting hours.
However, you need not be discouraged. DoNotpay can handle all creases so you can enjoy a smooth experience in communicating with an inmate.
DoNotPay Makes it Easy to Connect With An Inmate
With DoNotPay's Connect With an Inmate product, you can contact your friend or loved one easily, even if you're not sure where they are. We can search the prison databases to find the person you're looking for, and set up a virtual mailbox, making it a breeze to send and receive mail. Here's how it works:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
It's as easy as that! DoNotPay helps you close the gap between yourself and your friend or loved one in prison, so you can communicate despite the separation.
DoNotPay Can Make Your Life Easier in a Lot of Ways
Helping you reach out to an inmate is not all we can do for you. DoNotPay specializes in taking care of chores that have to be done, but most people dread doing. Here's a sample of just a few of the many services we offer:
- Cancel any subscription or service
- Contesting parking tickets
- Stopping annoying text spam
- Dealing with bills you are unable to pay
- Protecting yourself from stalking and harassment
- Clean up your credit report
- Getting refunds from companies
- Signing up for free trials risk-free
- Block spam mail forever
Let DoNotPay solve these problems and more on your behalf!