Ways to Replace Your Naturalization Paperwork

Naturalization and Citizenship Certificate Ways to Replace Your Naturalization Paperwork

Replace Your Naturalization Paperwork Effortlessly

Losing any government-issued documents such as naturalization and citizenship certificates can be painful and highly inconvenient. Without the proper naturalization paperwork, you're grounded and can't legally leave the country.

You need the naturalization certificate to prove your nationality while applying for an American passport. Without US citizenship paperwork, you're also denied other benefits reserved for American citizens. While it's possible to replace this certificate, the process calls for a considerable amount of paperwork.

DoNotPay can help you breeze through the application process. It helps you avoid the common pitfalls while guaranteeing a high level of success.

Why Do You Need a Naturalization Certificate?

You need a certificate of naturalization to apply for a new U.S. passport or replace one that's expired, lost, or stolen.

Certificate of Naturalization proves that you obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization. The USCIS issues naturalization certificates to foreign nationals who become citizens of America through naturalization after the age of 18.

Why Would You Need to Replace USCIS-Issued Naturalization or Citizenship Certificates?

You may need to replace a Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization, Repatriation, or Declaration of Intention for a variety of reasons, including: 

  • The certificate was lost, destroyed, stolen, or mutilated
  • The certificate is misprinted with an error
  • You legally changed your name through a court order, marriage, and need a certificate in your new name.
  • You've legally changed your gender, and you want a certificate that reflects your new identity.
  • Naturalized U.S. citizens need a special certificate to prove American citizenship in foreign countries.

How Do I Replace My Certificate of Citizenship? 

U.S. citizens may apply for a replacement Citizenship Certificate by filing Form N-565 with the USCIS. The form is available for download on the USCIS website.

You may download and fill in Form N-565 or opt for an online application. Besides filling in the required information on Form N-565, you should provide evidence to support your case. You should attach the necessary documents (copies or original) and two passport photos, and pay the filing fee, with your application.

How Do I Fill Out Form N-565?

  1. Fill in all the required information on the form in black ink. You may use type or print but ensure everything is clear and legible.
  2. Attach additional sheets of paper if you need extra space. Write your name and Alien number at the top of the continuation sheets. Match each continuation sheet with the relevant Part and item number for easy reference. Include the date and your signature on each sheet.
  3. Provide full and accurate answers to all questions. Mark the items that do not apply to you with "N/A". Write "none" if the answer to a question is indeed none.

What Documents Do I Include With Form N-565?

You need to provide specific evidence to back your reason for needing a replacement certificate.

  • If you wish to replace a damaged document, include the damaged document with your application.
  • If you need a new document due to a name change, attach the original document, court order with your new name, or a copy of your marriage certificate.
  • For a special certificate of naturalization, attach a copy of your naturalization certificate.

Replacing Naturalization Paperwork by Yourself 

You can file the naturalization paperwork online or send the completed application through the mail.

Besides filling in form N-565, you need to provide corroborating evidence detailing the loss, such as a filed police report and a sworn statement.

You should also provide the certificate number, place, and date of issuance. Be detailed as possible and provide all the required information. Any missing information may lead to a rejection, thwarting your effort to renew your passport.

You should include two passport-style photographs. The pictures must be recent (taken within 30 days), unmounted, unretouched, have a white or off-white background, and printed on thin glossy paper.

You should also make a check or money order with the filing fee of $555 to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Where Do I Mail Form N-565?

The USCIS provides two mailing addresses – Texas and Nebraska Service Centers. Where to mail naturalization paperwork depends on your state of residence.

State of Residence Mailing Center
Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, and West Virginia.DHS/USCIS

Texas Service Center,

P.O. Box 851182,

Mesquite, TX 75185-1182

Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.DHS/USCIS

Nebraska Service Center

P.O. Box 87565

Lincoln, NE 68503 7565

How DoNotPay Can Help

DoNotPay can help you speed up the process of replacing any official document covered by Form N-565 including Citizenship certificates. We have simplified the otherwise lengthy process into five simple steps:

  1. Search "naturalization certificates" (or "USCIS") on DoNotPay.


  2. Select the document you are applying for, and the reason why you need a replacement.


  3. Tell us more about the original certificate, including the certificate number, when it was issued, and the details of the person it was issued to. Upload evidence files to support your claims.


  4. Enter the contact information for any preparers and interpreters that helped with the application. Select whether you want to pay the application fee by check or credit card.


  5. Indicate whether you would like to receive a digital copy of your forms or have us mail them to you.


And that's it! DoNotPay will generate a completed N-565 form on your behalf, as well as a credit card payment request form and e-notification form if applicable. We'll also link you to our passport photos product, so you can get your official photos if you don't already have them. Lastly, we'll include a step-by-step guide on how and where to file your application. If you request your copies by mail, they should arrive within 10 business days.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

Besides letting you with naturalization paperwork, DoNotPay can help you solve other issues relating to official documentation including:

Want your issue solved now?