How to Process a Name Change on Your Marriage Certificate
If you are planning to get married soon you may be interested in how your name is changed on a marriage certificate.
Or, if you were recently married you may be wondering if you can change the name on your marriage certificate. Maybe you just want to know what your name can be changed to on your marriage certificate.
We can answer all of those questions for you here. And if you need to get a copy of your marriage certificate for a name change we will explain that too.
Today, we introduce you to the Marriage Certificates product from DoNotPay. Just one of the many products DoNotPay offers for saving you time and money on all kinds of daily tasks.
What Name Changes Are Allowed on a Marriage Certificate?
Each state has slightly different rules, but in general one or both spouses are allowed to change their last name and their middle name if they choose. The basic rules of changing your name after marriage are shown in the table below.
|Who Can Change Their Name After Marriage?||
What if Your Name is Wrong on Your Marriage Certificate?
Mistakes do happen. When an error occurs on a marriage certificate an amendment may be allowed. Most states specify that amendments are strictly for errors and not for omissions or mistakes entering your name.
If there is an error that requires amendment you will be asked to fill out an affidavit, usually with the county clerk where the marriage occurred. There will likely be a fee to pay as well, and you may need to provide a certified copy of your marriage certificate. DoNotPay can help.
Why You Need a Certified Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
Changing your name when you get married requires you to fill out the marriage license form with your new legal name. After it is submitted a marriage certificate will be created. Your marriage certificate will be your legal documentation of your name change. The certified copy of your marriage certificate can be used to change your name on your social security card, your bank accounts, and your identification or license.
Using the Marriage Certificates Product From DoNotPay
When you need to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate, the marriage certificate product from DoNotPay can help you to do that quickly and easily. Do not let life slow you down and keep you from accomplishing what you need to do. Get a certified copy of your marriage certificate that can be used for all of your legal needs with DoNotPay.
If you want to get a certified copy of a marriage certificate to change your name, but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
It’s really easy, just like everything else DoNotPay can accomplish for you.
Don't Stop There
You can learn even more about marriage certificates in these articles:
- Find out how to fill out a marriage certificate.
- Can you apply online for a marriage certificate?
- Here is how to get a copy of a marriage certificate.
- Do you have the right documents to get a marriage certificate?
- Are online marriage certificates valid?
- Marriage certificates, what you need to know.
There are so many ways to save with DoNotPay that you cannot stop there. Just explore some more of the product series below to figure out the next way you will save with these helpful tools.
- Create passport photos in a flash.
- Find out how to cancel those unwanted subscriptions.
- Check out these free raffle tickets.
- Learn about defamation demand letters.
- What you should know about child travel consent.
- Make an item return request.
- File a complaint fast.
- Get compensated for airline flight delays.
- Learn how chargebacks and refunds work.