What You Should Know About Mississippi Jury Duty
In this article, we’ll show you how Mississippi jury duty works and what punishment awaits you if you don’t show up.
If you’re employed, you need to notify your employer you have jury duty and should not face any repercussions for being absent. We’ll explain how you can do that effortlessly by .
Jury duty in Mississippi doesn’t have an application form—you can’t register for it. MS courts take names from voter registration and DMV lists and randomly select 12 people that are eligible for jury duty.
Mississippi law defines eligibility requirements, and it also contains valid excuses for exemption. Take a look at the following table to see who can become a juror:
|Eligibility Criteria||Valid Exemption Reasons|
Once you receive a summons, you need to go through a selection process before you actually become a juror. You can be summoned to a county, state, or federal court, but the selection phase is usually the same. It consists of the following three steps:
- Appearing in court (adequately dressed) on the date indicated in the summons
- Answering questions about yourself to determine whether you’ll be able to provide a fair and unbiased verdict
- Showing up at all court proceedings
If you fail to turn up, the judge may find you in civil contempt of court. They could fine you up to $500 or sentence you up to three days in prison.
No court in Mississippi enforces employers to pay salaries to employees on jury duty.
In preparation for jury duty, you’ll have to ask for time off and possibly go into your employer’s bad books. Although Mississippi jury duty law protects you from being fired or demoted, you should still notify your employer and formally request to be absent.
Every time you get summoned, you need to send advance notice to avoid any trouble in the workplace—DoNotPay can help you do that with ease.
Our app will draft a professional jury duty leave request letter using the information you provide to us. All you need to do is the following:
- via any browser
- Navigate to the Request Jury Duty Leave feature
- Answer a few questions from our chatbot
- Upload a photo of your jury summons
When you’re done, we’ll let you download the letter, or you can instruct our app to email the letter to your employer directly.
DoNotPay’s forte is its versatility—you can use the app to resolve any problem of legal or bureaucratic nature!
As soon as you subscribe to our platform, you’ll be able to:
- Draft any legal document with ease, including a divorce settlement agreement
- Skip waiting on hold when reaching out to customer service reps
- Sign up for any free trial worry-free with our virtual credit card
- Demand a late, missing, or damaged delivery refund
- Cancel any subscription or membership on time
- Book an appointment with the DMV stress-free
- Put an end to workplace discrimination
- Create a power of attorney document
- Create perfect passport photos
- Sign up for a clinical trial
- Get free raffle tickets
Want to get more familiar with our extensive product range? Check out how, for one low monthly fee, we can help you both save and earn money by:
- Filing insurance or warranty claims
- Sending a financial aid appeal letter
- Waiving your college application fees
- Turning any gift card balance into cash
- Locating your missing assets in minutes
- Showing you how to reduce your utility bills
- Assisting you in lowering your property taxes
- Appealing parking tickets in any city in the U.S.
- Ensuring that you get a refund from any company
- Getting compensation from airlines for delayed flights