How to Apply for Memphis Public Housing With No Waiting List
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program helps the residents of Memphis find affordable housing via rental assistance provided by Public Housing Agencies. Qualified applicants are added to a waiting list to wait for their turn. Due to the many applications received by the PHAs, application slots are not open throughout the year, and when they are, the spots are very competitive. Applying for Section 8 Housing by yourself can be a tedious process as it involves filling out a lot of documentation and going from one office to the next. However, DoNotPay can easily help you with your Memphis low-income housing application. Read along for detailed information.
What Is the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program?
Congress established the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program in 1974 to ensure that low-income households could get decent and sanitary housing. All applicants who meet the requirements receive a voucher when their name appears first on the waiting list.
Eligibility for the Memphis Housing Choice Voucher Program
The Memphis government housing program eligibility is determined by different factors such as the family composition and the gross income of the household. To qualify for housing assistance, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- The annual gross income of the family must not be more than 50% of the county's area median income
- The family must require decent and sanitary housing
- The applicants must be residents of the United States or legal immigrants
How to Apply for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher in Memphis
The Section 8 rental assistance program is run by housing authorities, also known as PHAs. To apply for the housing assistance program in Memphis, you must meet the eligibility requirements before filling out an online Section 8 application form. It is also important to note that applications open and close very quickly due to the high demand for low-income housing in the county.
What to Do as You Wait for Your Turn on the Waiting List
Being added to the waiting list does not mean you should do nothing until you hear something from the PHA. Here are essential tips for what you could be doing as you wait for your turn:
|Keep the communication lines open||Make sure you respond to all emails and calls so that the Housing Authority may know that you are still interested.|
|Do not stop applying||Every time a new waiting list pops up in your county, submit your application immediately.|
|Take evidence||Always keep a written record of all communication between you and the housing authority. You can take screenshots of emails and phone conversations with housing authority agents. This is because there is often a lot of staff turnover.|
|Have patience.||It can take months and even years for your name to get to the top of the waiting list. Whatever you do, do not give up.|
|Give regular updates||In case of any changes regarding where you live, how much money you make, or other necessary information, always share this with the housing authority.|
Steps to Take after being Approved for the Memphis Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher
Here is what to do after receiving approval for the Section 8 Housing Choice Assistance Program:
- Ask all the questions you have. If you have any questions lingering in the back of your mind, call the housing authority to ask for clarifications. Because this is a complicated process, it is essential to be your advocate and ask for explanations that you do not understand.
- Do not delay the paperwork. Ensure you do not miss the deadline for submitting your paperwork or risk your move being delayed.
- Attend the housing authority briefing. Once your application has been approved, you will get an email notifying you when and where the briefing will occur. Keep time.
What to Know About Living With a Voucher
Here is essential information you need to know about living in Section 8 Housing:
- Always document everything. Always have all communication between you and your landlord in writing in case anything goes wrong.
- No matter the circumstance, always make sure your rent is paid on time.
- If you have lived in the same unit for more than 12 months, you can move to a different state while still retaining your voucher.
How to apply for Section 8 Housing in Memphis With DoNotPay
If you want to apply for Section 8 Housing in Memphis but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 2 easy steps:
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
What Other Services Can DoNotPay Offer You?
DoNotPay can provide you with many other legal services such as:
- Apply for section 8
- Get Section 8 immediately
- Section 8 Rental Assistance Programs.
- Where to fill out section 8
- Fill out Section 8 Form
- Learn low-income housing
- Learn HUD Housing Application
- Helping you fight parking tickets
- Helping you get victim compensation
- Helping you deal with your bills
And a whole lot more. Do not wait any longer. Use DoNotPay today to easily navigate the low-income housing application process and enjoy many other great services.