Pointers on a Medical Power of Attorney in Louisiana
- Ensure your wishes regarding medical treatment are honored in case you cannot communicate them
- Prevent confusion or arguments among your family members
This article explains what a medical power of attorney in Louisiana should include and how you can draft this legal document smoothly.
You should use a Louisiana medical power of attorney to:
- Authorize someone—an agent—to be in charge of your health care in case you’re not able to make decisions for yourself
- Indicate what types of medical treatment and procedures you would (not) want to receive if you’re unable to express your opinion at a certain time
While a health care power of attorney can give broad powers to your health care agent—i.e., to make any and all medical decisions on your behalf—you could also list particular procedures you want and don’t want to be provided with.
The following table outlines a key difference between these two forms:
|Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care||Living Will|
|A Louisiana medical power of attorney form allows you to name a person to make health care decisions on your behalf if you cannot:
||A Louisiana living will lets you specify your wishes regarding life-sustaining procedures in case:
Keep in mind that a:
- Louisiana health care power of attorney (POA) and living will form can be parts of a more comprehensive document—an advance directive in Louisiana
- Health care proxy may differ from a medical POA in some states
- Durable power of attorney and health care POA are not the same documents
Your health care agent should be someone you can trust to make informed decisions about your health care and who:
- Is familiar with your values, beliefs, and wishes regarding health care
- Will act in your best interest
While you should choose a person who lives nearby—so that they are available in case of an emergency—you need to make sure your agent is:
- At least 18 years of age
- Of sound mind and competent to exercise sound judgments about your medical treatment
You could select someone you are close with, including your:
- Adult child
- Close friend
- Spiritual advisor
To create a Louisiana medical power of attorney, advance directive, or living will, you could select one of the following options:
- Consult a lawyer—Keep in mind that:
- Do it by yourself—You could:
- Go through different online templates
- Check all forms thoroughly, pick one, and adjust it to fulfill state requirements and suit your case
- Sign up for DoNotPay—Our robot lawyer can produce a watertight health care document for you in a flash
Our AI-powered app is familiar with relevant legal requirements and will ensure your health care document meets them.
Register for DoNotPay and follow these steps:
- Pick our Advance Health Care Directive product
- Enter the name of your agent and the powers you’re granting them
- List your health care preferences
- Type in the names of witnesses
DoNotPay has solutions for all those burdensome tasks you would rather avoid or entrust to someone else. Our AI-empowered app can assist you with copyright protection, clinical trial applications, DMV appointments, FOIA requests, mailing services, item returns, and delivery refunds. It also generates standardized legal documents and gets them notarized or faxed with zero fuss!
Through the same app, you can:
- Take a person or company to small claims court
- Send letters to inmates
- Demand violent crime compensation
- Get cash off of old and used gift cards
- File tourist visa applications
- Get in touch with government representatives
- Submit jury duty leave requests
College expenses can be quite a burden for the entire family. Luckily, DoNotPay can have your tuition expenses waived or assist you in applying for various types of financial aid, such as scholarships.
We also offer you a chance to prepare for government tests in a much simpler way or contact embassies or consulates quickly and efficiently if you want to travel abroad to continue your education. If you are a parent who wants to withdraw their kid from a standard school, we will help you draft a notice of intent to homeschool and send it to the local authorities with no stress!