Deciphering the Medical Power of Attorney for Grandparents
What kind of document is a medical power of attorney for grandparents? As you can conclude from the name, it has something to do with the medical care of children. Wondering what it entails, which purpose it serves, and who needs one?
DoNotPay answers your burning questions and explains how to make a medical power of attorney for grandparents in no time!
A medical power of attorney (MPOA) for grandparents allows parents or guardians to transfer the responsibility regarding making health-care-related decisions about their child from themselves to the grandparents for a limited amount of time (usually six months). This document is also known as grandparents’ medical consent form.
The following table contains answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the medical power of attorney for grandparents:
|Do grandparents need a medical power of attorney?||Grandparents need a medical power of attorney to decide about the medical treatment of their grandchild.
Grandparents should present a completed and signed form every time the child is admitted to a treatment facility. While not a legal requirement, the document should be signed in front of a notary public and notarized
|Is it necessary to make a medical power of attorney for a child traveling with grandparents?||Grandparents don’t need to have a medical power of attorney when they’re traveling with their grandchild. Still, it’s highly recommended that they do have one in case a medical emergency arises.
A document that is mandatory for all children traveling without their parents is a minor travel consent form
|When do you need to make a medical power of attorney for grandparents?||Parents and guardians typically create a medical power of attorney for grandparents when they’re unable to take care of their child because of work, illness, or similar|
To create a medical power of attorney for grandparents, you can:
- Hire a lawyer—A reliable, but expensive method
- Draft the document by yourself—A method that requires a lot of research on your part
Whichever method you opt for, keep in mind that every MPOA for grandparents has fields that are:
- Mandatory—The document isn’t valid without the:
- Parent’s or guardian’s name
- Grandparent’s name
- Child’s address
- Date the document takes effect and expiry date
- Optional—These fields aren’t required but help the medical staff inform parents and guardians about their child’s condition and administer appropriate treatment:
- Parents’ or guardians’ telephone numbers
- Child’s allergies (if they have any)
- Child’s blood type and any medication they’re receiving at the moment of their admission
- Names and phone numbers of the child’s physician and insurance provider
Sometimes, children aren’t the only ones in need of extra help. Creating living wills, health care proxies, and medical powers of attorney helps adults express their wishes and concerns regarding medical treatment but often comes at a sky-high price. Our app makes advance directives more available, and you can get yours in a snap if you visit DoNotPay and:
- Search for Advance Health Care Directive
- Specify types of treatment you wish to receive or reject
- Name your health care agent
- Enter the names of your two witnesses
Before you know it, your advance directive form will be ready for you to complete and sign.
Are you new to advance directives? Explore our knowledge base and find out:
- What is a health care directive?
- Is there a difference between a medical power of attorney and a health care proxy?
- What is a living will?
Does paperwork bring you to the edge of a nervous breakdown? With our help, you will skip all administrative impediments and get ready-made legal documents before you know it! No failed drafts or huge legal fees!
DoNotPay can generate:
- Advance health care directives
- Powers of attorney
- Defamation demand letters
- Child travel consent forms
- Neighbor complaint letters
- Divorce settlement agreements
- Financial aid appeal letters
- Insurance and warranty claims
- Revocable living trusts
- Seatbelt ticket appeal letters
- Homeschool letter of intent
You don’t need to leave your credit card info or personal details if you want to start free trials that won’t turn into paid subscriptions without notice. DoNotPay will create a virtual credit card with a fake name and generic credit card number for you in just a few clicks. This way, greedy companies won’t take a single penny from your account without your authorization!