Starting a Construction Project? Here's How DoNotPay Can Help You Obtain Maui County Building Permits!
Obtaining a building permit that meets local requirements is a must before beginning any project that alters a building or certain other aspects of your property to ensure that it will be done safely, even if you own your building or are doing the work yourself. Here is an overview of how to get a !
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Maui County?
Maui County requires residents to obtain a building permit before beginning any project that involves any type of major alteration of any building within the county in addition to constructing a new building. Certain minor repairs that do not alter the structure of the building or affect any nearby buildings may not require a building permit, but you will need to secure one before getting started if you are considering:
- Significant repairs
- Adding or removing a swimming pool, fence, or similar item on your property
- Moving a structure
This building permit provides Maui County with information about the project you are planning and allows any necessary organizations to review your plans to make sure they are safe within the context of Hawaii's unique environmental needs before providing final approval. You will need to provide copies of your building permits before any reputable construction company will begin any alterations. Even if you own your home, business, or other building, you will need to obtain a building permit to make sure that your plans align with local building codes and will not jeopardize the safety of your building or nearby buildings. Most buyers will ask for evidence that any repairs, additions, or other alterations were completed correctly if you ever sell your building.
How to Get a Building Permit in Maui County
Residents of Maui County can obtain a building permit application on the county's website. You will need to submit a few key pieces of information to give the county an idea of what the project you are planning will look like, such as:
- The type of project you are planning
- The approximate cost of the project
- Details about the contractors, architects, engineers, or other builders you plan to work with
- A description of your property
- Contact information for the owner of the building
- Contact information for the person leasing the building or unit if the owner is not the person planning a project
These requirements may vary slightly depending on whether you are applying for a residential or commercial building permit. Once you have completed this application, you can submit it in person or by mail to the Building Permit Section of the Development Services Administration.
What Fees Are Associated With Getting a Building Permit?
Maui County does not currently charge a fee for the initial review of your building permit application. However, any revisions that need to be made will quickly incur steep fees, which means that it is in your best interest to work with a professional that will put the time and effort into making sure all requirements are met the first time. Maui County's current building permit fees beyond the initial review include:
- $312.50 for the second review
- $625 for the third review
- $1,250 per review for applicants that are struggling to fill out the building permit application properly or meet all local requirements and must resubmit the application several times
Next Steps for Getting a Building Permit if You Can't Do It Yourself
Although the process of obtaining a is somewhat more straightforward in Maui County than it is in many other cities, you probably have better things to think about when you are planning an exciting renovation to your home or making much-needed repairs that will improve your business than filling out more paperwork. Building permits are important for a reason, but you have a better option than wasting hours compiling the information you need and figuring out where to send it.
Get a Building Permit With the Help of DoNotPay
Choosing DoNotPay is a faster and easier option for making sure Maui County has all the information it needs to approve your building permit application in a timely manner. Once you provide us with a few key pieces of information, we will handle the majority of the work of filling out your building permit application and submitting it to Maui County for you.
If you want to get a building permit easily in Maui County but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own cancellation letter in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get a Building Permit
Although you have the option to get a building permit on your own, filling out more paperwork probably is not the best use of your time. Maui County also charges fees that double each time you need to resubmit your plans, which means that attempting to do it yourself can result in costly mistakes. At DoNotPay, we can handle the tedious work of making sure your building permit is successfully submitted the first time for you so that you can move on to starting your project instead of wasting time and money in multiple rounds of revisions.
|It’s Fast||You don't have to spend hours trying to get a building permit.|
|It’s Easy||You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in getting a permit.|
|It’s Successful||You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.|
DoNotPay Works Across All Entities With the Click of a Button
Cities, counties, and states can vary significantly when it comes to local building restrictions and building permit requirements, but our process is just as easy no matter where you live. We make applying for building permits fast, easy, and successful in a wide variety of locations across the country, including:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Our robot lawyer makes handling a wide range of legal issues from home easier than ever. We can also help you:
- Obtain other types of permits
- Solve problems with your credit report
- Obtain copies of several essential documents, such as birth certificates and marriage certificates
- Have your personal information and photos removed from the internet
- Sue businesses that break contracts or cause other losses or damage to you
At DoNotPay, we can help you make sure your building permit is submitted quickly, easily, and successfully the first time. Contact us today to get started!