How to Get a Copy of a Maryland Marriage Certificate With Ease
Marriage does come with external benefits, like gifting your spouse assets tax-free, and being eligible for your spouse's health coverage. Plan administrators and the IRS do need proof that you and your spouse are actually married, and for that you need a copy of your marriage certificate.
You also need your Maryland marriage certificate to prove your marriage if you are changing your name. You can't get a new passport, driver's license, or social security card without it, or open a joint bank account.
If you are changing your name, you need that certificate before you can really start your new life. Time matters when you need a copy of your marriage certificate, and DoNotPay has the expertise to get that copy in your hands faster, easier, and with no hassle.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses
In Maryland, a marriage license is a document that authorizes you to get married. You can get a license up to six months before your wedding.
The marriage certificate confirms that the marriage took place. It's the document you signed with the officiant and your best man and maid of honor as witnesses. You get a copy in the mail a few weeks after the ceremony. This is the document that has legal validity.
Can Anybody Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Maryland?
Here are the people who can get copies of a marriage certificate.
- Spouses of record (named on the document)
- Representatives of either spouse. The representative must show a notarized form authorizing them to get the information.
- An attorney representing either spouse. Attorneys must also present proof of the relationship
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy?
The Maryland Vital Records office issues and stores certified copies of marriage certificates.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|Maryland Vital Records||6764 B Reisterstown Road
Reisterstown Road Plaza
Baltimore, MD 21215
|First Copy: $12.00 Additional Copies: $12.00|
The state also charges a processing fee for online orders—$11.75 for regular mail and $18.50 for expedited shipping.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Maryland?
If you go to the county where you got married and walk into the Department of Vital Records (DVR) lobby, you'll get the copy on the same day. Mail orders take 4 weeks, and online orders take 3 weeks for regular shipping, 2 weeks for expedited orders.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate?
You'll need to prove your identity to get a copy of your marriage certificate. A government photo ID is the best way, but if you don't have one, you'll need two alternate documents. One must have your current address.
- Bank statement
- Utility bill
- Car registration
- Copy of tax return with W2
- Lease/mortgage documents
Don’t worry if your driver's license or car registration has expired. Governor Hogan has extended all driver's licenses until 30 days after the current state of emergency is lifted.
How to Get a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
There are three ways to get your marriage certificate.
You can go to the DVR in the county in which you were married and get a same-day copy. The downside is that you have to go during normal business hours and will probably have to wait in line.
You can request a copy online with a third party, VitalChek. You select your shipping options and pay by credit card. They may charge additional fees above the state charges, and the state has no control over that fee schedule.
Download, print, and complete the application form. The download is free, and you can opt for a Spanish language form. Send the complete application, required photocopies, a check or money order made payable to the DVR, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to either the county or the state DVR.
It's Easy to Get a Marriage Certificate with DoNotPay
If you want to get a marriage certificate copy in Maryland but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.*
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
DoNotPay is the solution to all your document retrieval needs. It's fast and easy—all you have to do is log in to the app and upload identification forms. We fill out the forms for you.
Best of all, you can log in at any time and instantly file your request; you're not working with the county's business hours. When you don't have to take time to go to the bank or notary, or print documents and hope you have enough of the right ink, it's a lot less of a hassle to actually order the document.
And as slow as the mail is these days, you know your wait time is the shortest possible.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
DoNotPay is your one-stop-shop for most of life's nuisances. We can help with everything from getting a credit card refund or chargebacks to writing defamation demand letters to receive airline flight compensation. We take out the frustration and hassle of dealing with bureaucracy for you, so browse around our website for all our convenient services.