How to Easily Obtain Your Marriage Certificate
Getting married is a giant leap for any couple. It's something you want to remember and cherish for the rest of your life. At the same time, there's a lot of paperwork involved. And getting a marriage certificate and other supporting documents to prove your union is perhaps the most important one.
After the nuptials, the next step is getting a copy of your marriage certificate so you can start making the necessary changes to your new identity. Upon saying the words, "I do", you officially become eligible to get a marriage certificate for your records. Here's what you need to know.
Who Can Get a Marriage Certificate?
Requesting a marriage certificate copy doesn't always guarantee that you will get it. There are a few parties who can apply for a marriage certificate, depending on the county and state regulations of the marriage.
Generally, the bride and groom named on the marriage certificate can get copies or replacement marriage certificates without much hassle.
Other interested parties can also access these copies, but they are usually in the non-certified format. The couple's next of kin listed on the certificate can also access the copy, provided they have proof of relationship with the groom or bride.How Much Does a Marriage Certificate Cost?
The cost of obtaining a marriage certificate or a copy of a marriage certificate often varies, depending on where you're applying for the copy. Most times, you'll be required to pay a nominal fee for the administrative costs.
Applying for and getting a copy of a marriage certificate in the United States can cost anywhere between $5 and $30, depending on the state and the application process.
What Copies Do I Need to Acquire a Marriage Certificate?
To get copies of a marriage certificate, you will need to provide the following copies of your identification:
- State-issued ID
- Driver's license
- Prison ID
- Tribal ID card
If you're unable to provide any of the personal identifying information above, you can provide a notarized signature for the request, request a court order, or ask an eligible and immediate family member with a valid ID to apply on your behalf.
How Do I Get a Marriage Certificate on My Own?
You can register for a marriage certificate and obtain it on your own, provided you follow the necessary channels. First, you must check the county in which the certificate was filed and the couple's names on the certificate.
Some counties allow you to request the marriage certificate online, whereby you will need to fill out forms and present the necessary documentation and a fee. However, if the county doesn't provide an online option, you'll have to travel to the respective county's vital records office and provide the necessary paperwork to get the marriage certificate copy.
How to Get a Marriage Certificate if You Cannot Do It Yourself
There are instances where obtaining the marriage certificate yourself may not be possible. Fortunately, you can explore other alternatives that may be just as successful. These are:
|Asking a Family Member||You may need a copy of the marriage certificate but don't live close to where it was filed. On such occasions, you can ask close family members who live nearby to obtain a copy of the certificate for you. County and state guidelines will help you determine eligible family members who would be authorized to access these copies.|
|Hiring a Legal Representative||If applying for a marriage certificate copy yourself isn't an option, you can seek legal representation to request on your behalf. This is a much costlier option but is usually more effective and successful.|
Use DoNotPay to Get Your Marriage Certificate Faster and Easily
Going the long route and making several requests can sometimes weigh you down and be very time-consuming. You might also not succeed in getting the marriage certificate or its copy.
But don't let this weigh you down. DoNotPay provides you with a simple, easy, and straightforward way to get your marriage certificate with little hassle. The DoNotPay service saves you both time and money and will help you get your marriage certificate instantly and securely.
Simply follow the steps below to start the process:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Besides simply helping you acquire your marriage certificate, you will also enjoy other great services from the DoNotPay app, including:
- How to fill out a marriage certificate
- Marriage certificate documents
- Deal with credit card disputes
- Cancel unwanted memberships or subscriptions
- Stop spammers
Let DoNotPay do all the work for you, so you don't have to. Contact Us to learn more about our services and how we can help you.