How to Apply for a Marriage Certificate Online
Getting your marriage certificate online is a big step. You need a marriage certificate in order for your union to be legal. Online application offers an easy, convenient way to get it in your hands. However, sometimes, that may prove more complicated than you originally anticipated.
You need more information than you thought. The website is down. You cannot figure out how to navigate to the next tab without offering more information than you want to provide.
Sound familiar? The good news is, DoNotPay is here to make your marriage certificate online application process easy.
The Difference Between a Marriage Certificate and a Marriage License
|Marriage License||Gives permission to be married|
|Marriage Certificate||Legal proof that the marriage took place|
A marriage certificate is legal, concrete, and documented proof of your marriage. It serves to indicate that you have joined yourself in marriage to a particular individual. You might need a copy of your marriage certificate to:
- Legally change your name after your marriage
- Show proof of your name change
- File taxes together
- Prove your identity
- Share health insurance benefits
You may also need to use your marriage certificate to prove the relationship between you and your spouse--or you might want a copy of a family member's marriage certificate to help you trace genealogy or prove their relationship with another party.
A marriage license, on the other hand, is the document that you and your spouse obtain prior to your wedding. It establishes your right to get married. You, your spouse, and the officiant will sign the certificate after the wedding, after which you can get a marriage certificate.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate?
Depending on what state you were married in, that state's processes, and how the mail is running, it may take an average of two weeks to get your marriage certificate through the mail. Applying online may help streamline that process, but you should also expect delays in getting your marriage certificate in your hands.
What Documents Will I Need to Get a Copy of My Marriage Certificate?
The specific documents you need to get a copy of a marriage certificate may vary by state. However, you can expect to provide:
- Proof of ID. You may need to offer a government-issued ID card, for example.
- A check in the amount of your state's fee
- A notarized application, if you need a certified copy of your marriage certificate
You may also need to include a specific application that contains all the details of your marriage certificate.
How to Get a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate Online on Your Own
Applying for a copy of your marriage certificate online can be a tedious process, especially if you try to handle it on your own. You may need to:
- Visit the Vital Records website for the state where you intend to apply for a copy of your marriage certificate online.
- Figure out what documents you need, hunt them down, and upload copies of them.
- Deal with a complex series of questions, many of which may apply to information other than a marriage certificate and therefore are not necessary for your specific plans or needs.
- In some cases, mail off the information, since not all states offer marriage certificate application online.
- Wait for your marriage certificate to arrive.
Are there challenges related to getting your marriage certificate online? As with anything, there are some challenges or problems you should expect along the way.
- You may find yourself dealing with slow government website loading times.
- You may have to leave the government website for an outside provider who will actually take care of looking up and sending you your marriage certificate after your online application.
- If you have problems with your application, including even the faintest error, you may have to start all over again.
- You may not have any fees refunded if there is a problem with your application.
Take Care of Your Marriage Certificate Online Application Easier with DoNotPay
You don't want to have to deal with the challenges often associated with applying for a marriage certificate online. Instead, let DoNotPay take care of it for you. DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get Your Marriage Certificate Online?
Don't waste time going to pick up your marriage certificate in person or struggling with a complex online application. Instead, use our easy system to make it simpler to apply for your marriage certificate online without having to stress about wait times, difficult websites, or other challenges.
- Fast—Don't waste hours trying to research towns, name versions, and dates: We'll help, or we'll do it for you!
- Easy—Don't have to struggle to locate, print, and fill out tedious forms.
- Secure—Your personal information is sensitive, and it's safe with us.
- Successful—Rest assured knowing we'll accurately submit your information!!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
Let DoNotPay be your team of "robot lawyers!" We started as a means of helping the public fight parking tickets, but look what else we can do for you!
- Cease-and-Desist Defamation Letters
- Airline flight cancellation/bumping compensation
- Chargebacks and refunds
- Unattended Child travel consent paperwork
- Membership cancellations