Easily Connect With Inmates at Manhattan Detention Complex
Learning the best and easiest ways to schedule inmate visitations or write to a prisoner at Manhattan Detention Complex (MDC) can be challenging. This is especially true if this is your first time learning to navigate the strange ways of "the Tombs."
Whether you're trying to connect with a friend, family member, loved one, or simply looking for a prison pen pal, you'll want to learn all you can about the Manhattan Detention Complex and the New York jail facilities. Without the proper details and documentation, you could end up wasting time, energy, and money. Fortunately, DoNotPay has systems in place to make staying connected with inmates easier than ever.
Understanding MDC (The Tombs)
The Manhattan Detention Complex has been in operation for over 200 years.
The Ghoulish Nickname
Even if you have visited the current MDC in person, you still may not have a clear understanding of why this jail is nicknamed "the Tombs." Though the original structure was modeled after an Egyptian mausoleum, modern updates and additions have done away with this distinction.
This lower Manhattan command consists of two buildings designated the North and South Towers, connected by a bridge. The North Tower was opened in 1990. The South Tower, formerly the Manhattan House of Detention, or the "Tombs," was opened in 1983 after a complete remodeling. The complex houses male detainees, most of them undergoing the intake process or facing trial in New York County (Manhattan). (COBA)
Currently, Manhattan Detention Complex (MDC) is operated by the New York City Department of Corrections (NYC DOC) and serves as a "medium security, transient remedial office for grown-up prisoners." Managed by neighborhood police offices, MDC does not routinely hold inmates long-term.
All inmates are held in single-person cells.
Manhattan Detention Complex Contact Information
MDC is located in the Manhattan borough of New York, New York.
|MDC Physical Address||Manhattan Detention Complex
125 White Street
New York, NY, 10013
|MDC Phone Number||212-266-1500|
|Inmate Mailing Address||Inmate Name, ID, Housing #
NYC DOC - Manhattan Detention Complex (MDC)
125 White Street, New York, NY, 10013
Visiting Prisoners at Manhattan Detention Complex
Before planning a visit to the Tombs, be sure to check which days of the week you'll be welcome.
If you would like to visit a family member or inmate on Wednesday and Thursday, then visitation registration occurs between 1 pm and 8 pm, and visits last until 9 pm. If you would like to visit an inmate on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, then visitation occurs from 8 am-4 pm, and registration for visiting is from 7 am-2 pm. (Sullivan & Galleshaw)
When the visiting day arrives, be sure to dress appropriately.
Dressing for a visit to the Manhattan Detention Complex would include:
- No sleeveless or low-cut tops for women
- No tops or dresses that expose the back or stomach
- No colors or symbols that indicate gang affiliation
- No shorts or short skirts that rise more than three inches above the knee
- No see-through garments
- No swimming attire
- No flip-flops
If you're in doubt about how to dress when visiting a correctional facility, be sure to click through the link above and view the entire list of do's and don'ts.
Stay in Touch With Incarcerated Loved Ones With DoNotPay
Keeping in touch with prisoners isn't easy. That's why DoNotPay has stepped in with systems and services to help you stay connected.
DoNotPay can help you connect with an inmate in a variety of ways, including:
- Sending inmates books from Amazon
- Learning how to write to prisoners on death row
- Learning how to marry inmates in the county jail
- Finding ideas to write creative letters to incarcerated loved ones
- Calling inmates easily and affordably
DoNotPay Can Help You Locate Your Imprisoned Friend
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
And it really is as simple as that.
Simplify Your Life With DoNotPay
DoNotPay isn't just here to help you keep in touch with inmates at Manhattan Detention Complex, however. We also have products and services that can help you greatly simplify your life.
- Deal with credit card complications
- Cancel pesky subscriptions or memberships
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- Get refunds for delayed or canceled flights
- Sign up for free trials risk-free
- Protest your parking tickets
- Stop text spam
Come learn more about how DoNotPay can help you save time, money, and emotional bandwidth with our easy-to-use systems.