Obtain a Copy of Your Maine Marriage Certificate
There are many reasons why you might need a copy of a Maine marriage certificate. If it's your own, you might need one to change your name or to put your spouse on your health insurance. Some people use marriage certificates to trace their genealogy. DoNotPay can help get a marriage certificate for any reason.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses
When you're ready to get married, you need a marriage license to do it. After the wedding, the efficient sends the signed marriage license to the state of Maine, which creates a marriage certificate. Essentially, a marriage license permits you to get married, and a marriage certificate is a legal proof that you did.
Who Can Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Maine?
Any vital record less than 50 years old is restricted by the state of Maine, and only people with a valid interest in the record can receive a marriage certificate copy. This includes:
- A person named on the record
- Parent of a person named on the record
- Descendants of the person named on the record
- Registrant's legal custodian, guardian, or conservator or a respective authorized representative
- Genealogists who have a Maine CDC issued researcher identification card
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Maine?
It cost $15 to get a copy of a Maine marriage certificate and $6 for additional copies of the same record. It's always a good idea to consider ordering multiple copies at one time.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|Maine Vital Records||SHS 11
220 Capital Street
Augusta, ME 04333
|First Copy: $15.00
Additional Copies: $6.00
How Long Does It Take To Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Maine?
When you order a copy of a marriage certificate in Maine by mail, it can take up to two weeks to receive it. However, you have the option of going to the county records office where the marriage took place or the one in Augusta to receive one on the same day.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Maine?
Since Maine restricts access to marriage certificate records, you'll need to prove you're an authorized party. This documentation can include:
- Driver's license
- Military ID
- Tribal ID
- Other forms of government-issued ID
- Birth certificate
- Power of Attorney
How to Get a Maine Marriage Certificate on Your Own
The state of Maine offers two ways to get a copy of a marriage certificate: by mail and in person. You can mail your application, documentation, and check to the Division of Data, Research, and Vital Statistics, 220 Capitol Street, 11 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333-0011.
Solve the Challenges of Getting a Maine Marriage Certificate Instantly With the Help of DoNotPay
Why take the time and effort to secure a Maine marriage certificate through the mail? You can opt for the easiest way to get the documents you need.
If you want to Order/Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in [State/City] but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
DoNotPay is always your best option when you need a copy of a Maine marriage certificate. There are three main reasons why:
- Easy: The app walks you through the steps of filling out your application and getting your identification documents ready, so you receive the marriage certificate without a lot of hassle.
- Fast: In a few minutes, you can provide all the necessary information to secure a copy of a Maine marriage certificate.
- Success: If you've tried and failed to get a copy of a marriage certificate before, the DoNotPay app is the best way to successfully get one.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
The DoNotPay app helps you get a copy of a Maine marriage certificate, and it can help as easily with other tasks. These include:
Use DoNotPay to order a copy of a Maine marriage certificate today.