How to Collect Lucas County Child Support
As a parent, you cannot take a day off from feeding your children. What makes it harder is when the non-custodial parent takes months off from paying the child support. Collecting back child support is a major headache and is indeed stressful. Meanwhile, you are made to feel that your attempts to collect are straining all the family relationships when, in reality, it is the non-custodial parent's arrears that are causing all the strain.
What can you do? You want to force payment of Lucas County child support quickly and in such a way that the problem does not occur again. What if there was a service that could help you collect or even collect for you?
DoNotPay can help you collect, and even collect for you. The best part is that using it is convenient, automated, and frustration-free.
Know What You Owed
Many people would rather have little to no contact with their children's other parent or guardian, let alone deal with them about money. If you decide to draft a letter demanding child support due in Lucas County, there are a few things that you will need to include. Some are easy, whereas some can be quite complicated:
|Date the letter||This is very straightforward but forgetting to do and can cause major headaches down the line if things end up in.|
|Use full legal name||Address the person who owes you child support using their full legal name.|
|Know how much they owe||You will need to quantify the last payments made and the dates of those payments also what the child support covers.|
|Specify a deadline for payment||You will need to allow at least 2 weeks (14 days) for payment to be made.|
|Missed deadline||You may, if you choose, end by stating that legal action will be taken if payment in full is not made by the stated deadline.|
How Are Child Support Payments Enforced
Many people who write their letter to their child's other parent – with whom they may have a strained past and present relationship – are tempted to discuss other issues in their letter. It is important to know that the letter may be read out in court one day. What is left out of the letter can be as important as what is included. It is probably best to focus this letter exclusively on child support collection.
A parent who is owed child support may feel too upset or intimidated when faced with such a task. They may be tempted to put the task off. Perhaps they were told that it is not polite to talk about money. Or they may feel filled with righteous indignation and have been raised to suppress their anger. In the meantime, child support is not getting collected.
About Lucas County Child Support
Child support arrears are debts, but they are not just any debts that can be forgiven easily. Failure to pay child support can become a federal crime under the rules established by 18 U.S.C. § 228. Being said, paying child support is a must. Information regarding this should be clear to avoid going to court. Details like:
Failure to pay child support set by a divorce decree or other legal framework can lead to noticing being filed and eventually to either a civil court case or a case in criminal court which can result in the offender paying all arrears plus fees and serving up to 2 years in prison.
Specifically, if the payment is past due for longer than 1 year or exceeds the amount of $5,000, the violation is a criminal misdemeanor, and the convicted offender faces fines and up to 6 months in prison. If the child support payment is overdue for longer than 2 years, or the amount exceeds $10,000, the violation is a criminal felony, and the convicted offender faces fines and up to 2 years in prison.
Let DoNotPay Do It for You
DoNotPay is an easy-to-use service that handles issues of collecting child support and other related issues for you. The process is so easy that it can be described in three steps:
- Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.
- Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made and number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.
- Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.
And that's it. DoNotPay will file the demand letter on your behalf. If you don't hear back or see the payment within 2 weeks of delivery, you can escalate the case to court.
DoNotPay Works Across All Companies/Entities/Groups With the Click of a Button
DoNotpay recognizes that a parent struggling with collecting child support may have a range of other needs, and offers a range of related hassle-free services, including:
- If you do not yet have an order, we assist both parents through all steps of the process.
- In certain situations, we can help you avoid court completely.
- Once you have an order, we keep official records, protecting both the payer and the recipient.
- We can assist recipients with the enforcement of the order.
- We can help payers avoid or resolve negative enforcement actions if you are unable to pay."
- Establishing paternity (fatherhood).
- Locating parents.
- Requesting child support orders from the court.
- Requesting medical support orders from the court.
- Enforcing child and spousal support orders.
- Modifying child support orders.
- Next steps for filing a demand letter for late child support payments if you can't do it yourself.
- Next steps for requesting lower child support payments if you can't do it yourself.
Here are just a few of the services that DoNotPay is proud to offer you today:
- Small claims court
- Standardized legal documents
- Homeschool letter of intent
- Insurance claims
- Help with bills
- Financial aid and appeal letters
- Defamation demand letters
- Divorce settlement agreement
We all wish we would never need legal advice in life, but the truth is that modern life frequently requires legal expertise. The DoNotPay app is the home of the world's first robot lawyer. It's easy to use and here for you. You do not have to do it all alone anymore.