What to Do if Your Pet Goes Missing
Having a pet go missing is a harrowing experience for the whole family. After all, our pets are an extension of our family. You might be unsure what to do, who to ask, or where to even begin your search. DoNotPay tries to take a little of your stress away, while also doing the work that needs to be done. Here are some tips for what to do when your pet has gone missing.
First Steps to Take When Your Pet Goes Missing
First things first, try to remain calm. Take a deep breath and devise a plan of action. It may be helpful to ask yourself a few key questions, so you know where to start your search:
- When and where was the last place you saw your pet? Has it been a few hours, or did they potentially just recently get loose?
- Has your pet done this type of thing before? If so, where did you find it last time?
- Does your pet have more of a timid personality? If the animal is scared, it may just be hiding close by.
- Is your animal alone or have they run off with another pet in the household?
Okay, Now What?
- Now that you've gotten yourself a bit more prepared, search the neighborhood. If you're able to get a few people to help you look, the more the merrier.
- Go house-to-house and look in places they may be hiding. This could be in bushes, under cars, or even inside garages.
- Ask your neighbors if you have seen your lost pet, and show them pictures of the pet if they're unfamiliar. Lost pets are often found close to home, so check your neighborhood as thoroughly as possible.
What Should the Next Step Be
This should be done in tandem with your neighborhood search, but call your local animal control agencies. These agencies are here to help. Check other local shelters as well. When filing a missing pet report, make sure you include as much information about your pet as possible. Include details about their temperament too.
How to Get the Community Involved
Another step to take in order to find your lost pet is to get your local community involved as much as possible. This can be done in a variety of ways, and some require little to no work from the community:
|Flyers||Make lost flyers with a current picture of your pet. Post these flyers everywhere around the neighborhood. Also, ask local restaurants and stores if you could post your flyers on any type of community board that might exist.|
|Offer a reward||It's not a bad idea to offer a small reward for anyone who finds your pet. It does help motivate more people.|
|Post on social media platforms||Post about your missing pet on community Facebook pages and online forums.|
|Ads||Place ads in local papers.|
Key Tips to Keep In Mind
All of this is a lot of information, but there are a few key things to keep in mind to have the best chance at bringing your furry friend home:
- Act as quickly as possible. As soon as you discover your pet has gone missing, jump into action. Don't assume they will make their way home on their own.
- Don't give up on your search. Call local shelters often, check the neighborhood often, and remain vigilant. Your pet might be scared and hiding, so it might take time to initially find them.
- Be aware of and try not to fall for scams. Unfortunately, people may try to take advantage of your situation. Ask for identifying information from anyone who claims they have found your pet. Don't send money to someone you don't know without seeing your pet.
How DoNotPay Can Help
DoNotPay can help make the process of finding your runaway dog or cat easier for you, so you don't have to feel like you're doing it alone. Simply provide as much information about your pet as you can, being sure to include a current picture, and we will file a missing pet report on your behalf.
Here's how you can use DoNotPay to report lost and found pets:
- Search "lost and found pets" on DoNotPay, and select whether you're reporting a lost pet or a pet you've found.
- Enter the date and location you lost or found the pet and tell us more about them, including the breed, gender, whether they are wearing a collar, approximate size, and more.
- Upload evidence a photo of the pet, so they can be identified, and enter your current contact information where you can be reached with updates.
And that's it. DoNotPay will file the report on your behalf, and make sure your lost or found pet gets recorded in the government directory and they know who to contact if they find a match.
Let DoNotPay Help You Bring Your Pet Home
DoNotPay offers a safe, secure, and efficient way for you to feel secure in finding your lost pet. We will submit the missing pet report for you, and be sure it is given to the appropriate channels. Discovering your pet is missing is scary, and knowing exactly what to do can be daunting. DoNotPay can take some of that stress away. Contact us today with any questions you may have.