Writing a Living Will in Louisiana Made Simple
Should you find yourself in an unfortunate medical situation where you can’t decide about your future treatment, a living will could help your medical care provider understand and act according to your wishes. Not to be confused with a health care proxy or medical power of attorney, a living will is a separate document from the two but a part of the advance health care directive in Louisiana.
If you want to have a backup plan ready for the worst-case scenario, learn what a living will in Louisiana entails and how to create yours in a snap with DoNotPay!
A Louisiana living will form is a legal document people can use when they are nearing the end of their life. The document specifies whether the declarant wants to receive treatment that would prolong their life, for example:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Mechanical ventilation
- Comfort care (palliative care)
- Tube feeding
The document is part of the Louisiana advance directive, which also includes a:
- Medical Power of Attorney—Allows the declarant to designate a trusted person, called a medical agent, to carry out the declarant’s wishes regarding treatment methods and end-of-life health care. The person given medical power of attorney in Louisiana then decides about the declarant’s treatment on their behalf
- Physician Orders for Scope of Treatment (LaPost)—Is a document the declarant and their health care provider complete to specify the treatment the declarant wants to receive in case of an emergency
Declarants who deny end-of-life health care will receive a do-not-resuscitate bracelet that includes their basic information.
- Basic information, such as:
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Decision regarding end-of-life health care
For a living will to be in effect in Louisiana, it must be signed by two witnesses and notarized by a notary public.
If you change your mind at some point, you cannot override your existing living will, but you can revoke it:
- Orally—by talking to your assigned physician about the intent to revoke your existing living will
- Verbally—by writing a revocation and giving it to your assigned physician
Once you revoke your living will, you can write and sign a new one.
There are several ways you can approach creating a living will in Louisiana:
|Write the document yourself||
|Hire a lawyer to compose the document for you||Lawyers know best, but their expertise typically comes at an expensive cost. You have much cheaper options at your disposal that require the least amount of effort on your part|
|Use DoNotPay to create a Louisiana living will||With DoNotPay, you’re a couple of minutes apart from your personalized living will. Provide the necessary information, and the app will do the hard work for you|
Are you not confident in your writing skills? Do you want to avoid paying your lawyer too much for a single document? DoNotPay offers a tool that can create a rock-solid living will with the least amount of effort on your part. To start the process of getting a custom living will, follow these steps:
- Access your DoNotPay account
- Type Advance Health Care Directive in the search bar
- Provide information about your health care agent and decisions regarding treatment
After you complete all steps, our app will create your personalized living will within minutes! All you need to do now is sign the document and get it notarized. Skip tedious waiting times and traveling—let our app connect you with an online notary so you can get your signatures verified the simple way!
There’s so much more we can do for you! As soon as you sign up for our AI-powered app, you will have a myriad of nifty products at your disposal. We can do any of the following and more:
- Cancel any membership
- Sign you up for clinical trials
- Draft customized legal documents
- Get any document notarized remotely
- Help you get compensation from airlines
- Demand a missing delivery refund in your stead
- Show you how to get gift card cash back
- Send any document through online fax
- Find any unclaimed money you have
- Get you a secure burner number
- Help you get a tourist visa
If you’re sick of dealing with greedy companies, subscribe to DoNotPay—we’ll assist you with any issue at hand.
If you want to get a refund, send an item return request, file a complaint, claim insurance or warranty, get a free trial without getting charged by using our virtual credit card, or put an end to robocalls, your AI-powered assistant will be there to help.
When you decide to take legal action, our app will support you along the way. Sue any company in small claims court worry-free!