Get a Living Will and Health Care Power of Attorney in a Heartbeat
Have you wondered what might happen if you’re in a serious accident or get ill and can’t make decisions about your health care? You might want to start thinking about these issues to protect yourself and your loved ones.
If you’d like to communicate your wishes regarding medical treatment, you should prepare an advance directive, living will, and health care power of attorney. This article focuses on the last two documents and how you can create them easily.
A living will and medical power of attorney are legal documents that let you:
- Specify your health care preferences
- Give instructions to your doctors and health care providers
They can be parts of a more comprehensive document—an advance health care directive.
- Indicate your wishes regarding health care in case you’re not able to communicate them in specific situations
- Can be revoked at any time
For these documents to be valid, you need to be at least 18 years of age, of sound mind, and either have:
- The forms notarized—Use DoNotPay to get any document notarized fast
- Two people witness your signature—Check your state law to meet the witness requirements
|A Living Will:||A Medical Power of Attorney (POA):|
It would be a wise choice to create both a living will and health care power of attorney since your:
- Health care agent might not be able or available to decide about withholding or withdrawing your life support
- Family members could try to contest your agent’s decisions leading to confusion and arguments
Keep in mind that:
- A medical POA is not the same as a (durable) power of attorney
- You should create a living will if you have a durable power of attorney since the latter document doesn’t cover health care issues
- Some states recognize a slight difference between a medical POA and health care proxy
There is no need to hire a lawyer to draw up a health care document for you since:
- State laws don’t mandate you to use legal services
- You’ll need to cover considerable attorney fees
You should also not waste time trying to draft an advance directive, living will, and health care power of attorney yourself as you might:
- Come across unreliable online forms that are too generic and don’t suit your case
- Need to amend available templates to meet legal requirements and your specific needs
Our AI-powered app can prepare an airtight health care document customized to your wishes in a matter of minutes!
Sign up for DoNotPay and take these steps:
- Open our Advance Health Care Directive product
- Enter information about your health care wishes and agent
- Choose to get the document notarized online or provide the names of witnesses
DoNotPay has come up with multiple handy products whose purpose is to make your life simpler and more enjoyable! Don’t hesitate to check out the features that will help you:
- Get in touch with customer care centers without being on hold for hours
- Sue any individual or company in small claims court
- Simplify copyright protection process
- Locate unclaimed funds
- Wipe out robocalls and spam texts or emails
- Generate virtual credit cards and burner phone numbers
- Schedule DMV appointments from the comfort of your home
- Demand public records by submitting FOIA requests
Dissatisfied with a delivery? Use DoNotPay to file an item return request and get a refund from the merchant if the product didn’t meet your expectations! We can also help you apply for a late delivery refund or help you claim your warranty or insurance if the product you purchased gets damaged or breaks down. Our multi-functional app also allows you to appeal potentially inaccurate property tax assessments, banned accounts, and seatbelt or parking tickets.