Can You Take Legal Action Against UK Landlord? Here's How!

Landlord Protection Can You Take Legal Action Against UK Landlord? Here's How!

How to Take Legal Action Against Your Landlord in the UK

Everyone who rents their home hopes for a happy and problem-free living experience. Unfortunately, things do not always work out that way. Many tenants deal with illegal evictions and landlords who avoid returning security deposits among other issues. If you're a renter in the UK, you should know that you have rights, and it is possible to take legal action against your landlord and receive compensation.

Suing your landlord can feel very intimidating and navigating court procedures is challenging to tackle on your own. That's why DoNotPay created a Landlord Protection product. We'll be with you every step of the way and will ensure you're not taken advantage of.

This article will explain how you can take legal action against your landlord in the UK, and how DoNotPay can help. Some of the topics we will cover in this article include:

  • What can I sue my landlord for?
  • How do I sue my landlord?
  • How much can I sue my landlord for?
  • Can I sue my landlord for stress in the UK?
  • Can I sue my landlord for emotional distress?

What Are My Rights as a Tenant?

As a tenant in the UK, you have many rights protected by law. If your landlord violates these rights, you're entitled to compensation. Your legal rights as a tenant include:

  • To live in a property that's in a good state of repair
  • To be charged reasonable rates
  • To have your security deposit returned if conditions of the lease are met
  • To be protected from unfair eviction

Additionally, your tenancy agreement must comply with the law. Your landlord is not allowed to include illegal clauses in your rental agreement. If you're currently dealing with one of these issues, you can sue your landlord to have the situation remedied. 

What Are Acceptable Reasons for Suing My Landlord?

Unfortunately, many UK citizens are forced to take legal action against their landlords each year. Whether you've been suffering from unsafe living conditions, unfair rent increases, or other issues, you should know that many people get these issues successfully addressed.

Some of the most common reasons for pursuing legal action against a landlord include:

  • Not being able to get back your security deposit
  • Not having necessary repairs completed
  • Mould growth
  • Carbon monoxide exposure
  • Electrical or fire hazards

Can I Sue My Landlord for Emotional Distress in the UK?

Your home should be your sanctuary. As a tenant, you pay a significant amount of money each month in good faith that your landlord will uphold their legal responsibilities. When they fail to do so, it can be incredibly distressing. If you have suffered stress due to housing disrepair, it is possible to sue your landlord for stress. 

To do so, you will need to take the following steps:

  1. Gather evidence of negligence and housing disrepair. This can include photos, copies of messages between you and your landlord, and professional assessments of the property's damage.
  2. Prepare to file a housing disrepair claim and add a claim for pain, suffering, and loss of amenity (PSLA). This claim can include psychological injuries as well as physical. For example, if you've suffered from depression, anxiety, or stress, you can be compensated.
  3. Gather evidence of your psychological injuries, such as medical reports.
  4. Before you file, follow the Disrepair Protocol. This procedure occurs before you file your claim. If you fail to follow it, your claim might be rejected. Disrepair Protocol requires pre-court mediation with your landlord.

Under the Disrepair Protocol, you must send your landlord a letter notifying them of impending legal action. Your landlord will have 20 business days to respond. You can draft and deliver this letter yourself, or use DoNotPay's Landlord Protection product and have us do it on your behalf. 

How Much Can I Sue My Landlord For?

The amount of money you can successfully sue your landlord for depends on what damages you are able to prove they are responsible for. For example, if you can prove your landlord knowingly failed to remove mould from your home and you acquired medical bills as a result of mould exposure, you could sue for your medical costs. You can also sue for the cost of replacing damaged items or any other financial losses that were a result of home disrepair, such as the cost of temporary accommodation.

How to Sue Your Landlord with DoNotPay

The first step in taking legal action against your landlord is to attempt to have your issue resolved out of court. It can be intimidating to start a dispute with your landlord, but you don't have to undertake this process alone. DoNotPay's Landlord Protection product can guide you through the entire process and even file disputes on your behalf. 

The steps for taking legal action against a landlord are simple when you use our product:

  1. Search for and open the Landlord Protection product on DoNotPay.


  2. Select which issue applies to you.


  3. Answer a simple set of questions so our chatbot can collect the necessary information to create your demand letter.


  4. Choose whether you want DoNotPay to send the demand letter to your landlord or roommate on your behalf. If you already tried sending a demand letter and it didn't work, we can help you start the small claims court process.


After your demands are sent, you should hear back from your landlord directly. DoNotPay can also help you:

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

In addition to helping you sort out landlord lawsuits, DoNotPay can help you out in all kinds of other frustrating situations:

Find unclaimed moneyFight email spam
Receive airline flight compensationFight workplace discrimination
Sue anyone in small claims courtGet standardised legal documents
Notarize any documentUnderstand the Freedom of information Act 

If you're facing a legal battle with your landlord, let us take care of it for you! We'll guide you through the process and handle much of it on your behalf. Sign up today!

Want your issue solved now?