How to Connect With Inmates at Leavenworth United States Penitentiary
Leavenworth United States Penitentiary (often just called USP Leavenworth) is a medium-security prison near Kansas City that has been in operation for more than a century. Similar to all prisons, Leavenworth United States Penitentiary has a strict code of conduct for anyone looking to correspond with inmates, making it critical to follow the rules and plan in advance. But even though the restrictions can be tedious, DoNotPay can ease anyone through the process and allow individuals to focus on making valuable connections with a USP Leavenworth inmate.
General Information for Leavenworth USP
Located in Leavenworth, Kansas, about a half-hour drive from Kansas City, USP Leavenworth is run by the Federal Bureau of Prisons and has just shy of 1,000 male inmates at the main facility. Although it was a maximum-security prison for a very long time, it was downgraded in 2005 and is now considered a medium-security prison. Additionally, there is a minimum-security satellite camp nearby as well that holds about 250 inmates.
Here is the basic contact information:
Getting in Touch With an Inmate at Leavenworth United States Penitentiary
As a federal prison with tight restrictions, release-day clothing items are the only exception to sending an inmate a package. No other packages are allowed to be sent to a prisoner at USP Leavenworth, although sending letters to inmates is encouraged.
To send a letter, follow these steps and then use the correct address below:
- Make sure you have the inmate's full name
- Find the inmate's register number
- Review all mail policies on the official website for USP Leavenworth
- Double-check your letter for restrictions
- Inmates in the Main Facility
Inmate Name and Register Number
P.O. Box 1000
Leavenworth, KS 66048
- Satellite Camp Inmates
Inmate Name and Register Number
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Calling and Sending Money to Inmates at USP Leavenworth
As for phone calls, inmates have regular access to making outgoing calls, although they are limited to 15-minute windows and all calls are recorded. You can also send money to an inmate in a variety of ways, including through a Western Union service specifically designed for sending money to prisoners. Additionally, you can send money orders directly to the following address for federal prisoners:
Federal Bureau of Prisons
P.O. Box 474701
Des Moines, Iowa 50947-0001
The Easy Way to Communicate With an Inmate at USP Leavenworth
The most important thing to do is make sure you check the official website for updated information about USP Leavenworth. Unfortunately, the Covid-19 pandemic has forced a temporary halt to all visitations to USP Leavenworth, making it more critical than ever to remain in contact via mail. If you already have the contact information for the inmate you wish to connect with, DoNotPay's Connect with an Inmate feature can quickly get you in touch.
With DoNotPay, you can use the inmate's ID or booking number (along with the prison and unit number) to send a letter to an inmate or to create a virtual mailbox that can be used again and again. DoNotPay makes it easy to upload photos and text to send to the inmate, allowing you to easily send updates that will be very much appreciated. With the virtual mailbox, an inmate can also send you a letter that will be converted to a digital form. Even though the inmate correspondence system can seem outdated, DoNotPay's services bring everything into the digital world for your convenience.
Finding an Inmate With DoNotPay
If you don't know the specific location of an inmate (or aren't even sure he's at Leavenworth), DoNotPay can help you find an inmate in five simple steps:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
After finding all of the inmate's relevant information, DoNotPay can facilitate all of your communications with an inmate.
Other DoNotPay Tools for Connecting With an Inmate
DoNotPay has a wealth of other services to help you navigate the tricky world of corresponding with inmates. Here are just a few of the things you can do:
- Find out how to address a letter to an inmate
- Learn how to become an inmate's pen pal
- Learn the ins and outs of inmate visitation
- Basics of writing to a prisoner
DoNotPay Has Plenty of Other Services to Consider
From financial and account services to appealing fees and more, DoNotPay has many different services that can make your life easier. You can combat robocalls, handle bills you cannot pay, protect yourself from copyright infringement, and even jump ahead in customer service phone queues. With so many options, DoNotPay is the perfect assistant in a complicated digital world.