Sue Your Landlord for Failing to Fix Your AC With DoNotPay
Your landlord should keep your rental unit in a livable condition. One of the responsibilities that your. If this system breaks down or fails to function, they must get the air conditioner in its working order.
Unfortunately, not all landlords take the initiative to replace or repair their tenants' faulty air conditioners. As a result, you might end up filing demand letters to your landlord, paying for the repairs or replacement out of your pocket, and even end up filing a lawsuit. You don't deserve to go through this. Luckily, has created the Landlord Protection product to help you solve issues with your landlord or roommate, including if your landlord doesn't fix the AC. Follow the steps provided below, and let's help you secure your tenancy rights easily and quickly.
What Are Your Landlord’s Responsibilities to Your Faulty AC?
Landlords must keep the structure of their building in good condition at all times. A rental's air conditioning is crucial in ensuring that tenants stay warm during winter and maintain room temperature during summer.
State and local laws require a landlord to keep their properties in habitable condition. However, many local ordinances are much stronger and have more impact. State laws can also be helpful, especially in sparsely populated areas. In these places, state laws provide better remedies to the violation of tenant rights than local ordinances.
Most cities and counties have building and housing codes that control various occupation standards like water supply, ventilation, structural features, fire protection, and other critical safety features.
Even when a landlord violates a local ordinance that's not explicitly covered, it might fall under the category of "nuisance." This is a serious category since it covers anything hazardous to the safety of tenants and is morally offensive. can also be a nuisance, especially if the air conditioner risks your life.
How to Ask Your Landlord for Repairs
The initial thing you got to do is inform your landlord of the problem. However, if your landlord keeps ignoring you, then you may start doing the following:
- Establish that the landlord is really responsible for the repair. Make sure that the damage was not your fault or that of your guest’s.
- Document the problem as thoroughly as possible. Take photos from angles. Better yet, take a video of it. In the case of a faulty AC, you might want to check with an aircon technician to find out what is causing the problem.
- Write a repair request. This depends on how you generally communicate with your landlord. It can be through text, email, or a letter. The point is you want to leave a paper trail that may be used as evidence in court.
- Send a written letter via USPS with return receipt requested. Make sure to include the photos you have taken in the envelope.
What Should You Do When Your Landlord Fails to Repair or Replace Your Faulty AC?
It's often hard to enforce your tenancy rights, especially with minor repairs. Even so, you can withhold your rent or use the "repair and deduct" procedures to compel your landlord to repair your faulty AC. However, these actions can have you evicted. Here are a few strategies you can use to get your landlord to fix your faulty AC:
|Write a Repair Request||A written request is almost helpful when compelling your landlord to fix your faulty AC. It accurately articulates the problem and explains why your landlord should fix it. A request letter also allows the landlord to think over the request rather than give a straight "no" to your request. A good repair request letter should effectively explain the problem and how it affects you, and how it might incur more costs to the landlord if not fixed.|
|Propose a Mediation||If your landlord ignores your oral and written request, a mediation service should be your next step. Invite your landlord to meet with you and a trained mediator. The mediator can help you agree on a mutually-acceptable solution rather than impose a solution.|
|Report Your Landlord to the Local Housing Agency||Living with a faulty AC violates local building and housing codes. Therefore, call the agency that enforces these codes if your landlord won't fix your AC. The agency's officials should explain whether the issue violates state or local codes and might help you take action against your landlord.|
|Sue Your Landlord in a Small Claims Court||If you can prove to the court that your faulty AC decreases the value of your unit, a small claims court judge can award you the difference between your rent and the cost of repairing or replacing the air conditioner. Please note, suing your landlord isn't the best option since it might salvage your landlord-tenant relationship. However, if you've tried everything else and failed, suing your landlord can be the proper remedy.|
Following these procedures can be tiring and overwhelming. It also puts your landlord-tenant relationship at risk. DoNotPay offers the best solution for putting your landlord responsible for fixing your faulty AC.
How Can DoNotPay Help Me If My Landlord Hasn't Fixed AC?
Is your Landlord reluctant to fix your broken AC? Is your landlord refusing to compensate you for repairing your air conditioner? Don't worry. DoNotPay can help you in the following 4 easy steps:
- Search for and open the Landlord Protection product on DoNotPay.
- Select which issue applies to you.
- Answer a simple set of questions so our chatbot can collect the necessary information to create your demand letter.
- Choose whether you want DoNotPay to send the demand letter to your landlord or roommate on your behalf. If you already tried sending a demand letter and it didn't work, we can help you start the small claims court process.
What Other Services Can I Get from DoNotPay Landlord Protection Product?
At DoNotPay, our services don't stop at compelling your landlord to fix your faulty AC. We can help you solve many tenancy issues with our Landlord Protection Product. We can help you in the following ways:
- Learn how to Get a Security Deposit from Your Landlord
- Kick Out Your Roommate
- Learn What to Do When Your Landlord is Threatening to Evict You
- Write a Demand Letter About Repairs
- Learn Whether a Landlord Can Evict You Without Notice
- Learn how Long a Landlord Should Take to Evict You Without Notice
- Learn Your Renters Right
- Learn where You Can File Complaint Against Your Landlord
- Learn Your Landlord's Repair Responsibilities
- Learn how to Sue Your Landlord for Your Deposit
Reasons Why I Should Use DoNotPay to Help Me When My Landlord Refuses to Fix AC
Some of the benefits of using DoNotPay are that the platform is:
- Fast – It only takes a few clicks to get the information you need.
- Easy to use – Just answer a few basic questions the DoNotPay team will handle the heavy lifting!
- Reliable – It will generate the information, sample letters, etc., that you will need.
- Helps you save money and time – No need to spend so much time researching for the process on how to start or going to institutions asking for advice on where to start.
With DoNotPay, you don't have to go through the tedious procedures to compel your landlord to fix your AC. With us, you can make your landlord fix your AC, by following the four steps above, and can rest assured that we'll make the best case for you. Sign Up today, and let's get started.