Can You Dispute Kansas City Traffic Tickets? — Yes, Here's How
Are you thinking about pleading not guilty and contesting your Kansas City traffic tickets? That's a great idea. Most people choose not to because the process can often be a hassle while paying for the ticket seems like an easier way out.
The secret to success and doing it in a more convenient way is DoNotPay. Although you could go through the process on your own and fight it in court, you won't have to go through such lengths if you use our Traffic Ticket product.
Most Common Traffic Tickets in Kansas City, MO
Penalties and punishments for Kansas City traffic tickets vary by the type of offense you commit. For instance, driving under the influence (DUI) or without insurance can get you into trouble. KC takes DUIs very seriously — often charging convicted drivers with 90 days to a year in jail as well as fines as high as $2,500, plus court costs, probation, and evaluation fees.
On the other hand, the following traffic tickets are more minor and easier to contest:
|Stop Sign and Red Light Tickets||Running a stop sign or red light is very dangerous because you may cause an accident. To keep streets safe, KC fines drivers $75 per violation plus whatever court fees are added to the charge.|
|Speeding Tickets||Did you know that 29% of traffic-related fatalities were associated with speeding? To reduce the impact in Kansas City, fines of up to $225 per offense.|
|Cell Phone Tickets||The number of motorists on their phones while driving has increased substantially, causing more accidents on the road and reducing reaction times. To hopefully combat the epidemic, KC has started fining drivers charged with the violation $60 per incident.|
Is Contesting Your Kansas City Traffic Tickets Worth the Hassle?
Contesting your Kansas City traffic ticket is always worth the hassle. Why? Because if you don't contest your ticket and just pay the fine, then you may be subjected to one or more of the following:
- A spike in your car insurance rates: A speeding ticket alone is known to increase car insurance rates by 24%, which is $380 more than your usual bill a year. Add on any other tickets, and you may find yourself unable to pay your monthly premiums.
- Points added to your driver's license: In Missouri, if you accumulate just four points in 12 months, you'll receive a warning in the mail. Eight or more in a year and a half (or 18 months) will lead to your license being suspended.
The good news is the process doesn't HAVE to be a hassle. DoNotPay can do it for you.
Contest Kansas City Traffic Tickets on Your Own
In Kansas City, there are two kinds of tickets:
- Non-payable: Your court appearance is mandatory, so you must appear at the court listed on your ticket at the time and date that will also be listed on your ticket.
- Payable: If you have a fine listed on your ticket, you can choose to pay ahead of your court date to 'plead not guilty' and withdraw from having to make an appearance. Note that some traditionally 'payable' tickets can be considered 'non-payable' if combined with other 'non-payable' traffic violations.
To contest either traffic ticket in Missouri, you will still need to make a court appearance as detailed on your ticket. While you can fight without a lawyer for some traffic violations, we recommend having some type of representation, such as a DUI or accident (especially if someone died as a result).
With DoNotPay, you'll be able to contest the ticket without going to court.
Steps You Can Take to Contest Kansas City Traffic Tickets With DoNotPay
Sure, you can do it yourself and may even receive the same outcome, but DoNotPay takes the stress off your shoulders and increases the chances of a successful contest. We have successfully contested 160,000 parking tickets — which means we helped overturn an incredible $4 million in fines — in just London and New York City over two years. Imagine what we could do for you.
All you have to do to contest Kansas City traffic tickets with DoNotPay is follow these five steps:
- Log-in to DoNotPay and go to the Ticket Disputes category. Select the correct product based on your traffic ticket.
- Upload a photo of your citation.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
Why Should I Contest Traffic Tickets With DoNotPay?
Other than the fact that we have a track record for getting positive results and successfully challenging traffic tickets, here are a few reasons why you should use DoNotPay for contesting tickets and solving other legal issues:
- The chances of successfully contesting your ticket increase significantly.
- We take the hassle and stress out of the process. This way, you can make disputes without sacrificing your valuable time and peace of mind.
- You can also dispute traffic tickets in other cities, states, and counties with just a click of a button.
- Check off other tasks in the meantime. We have dozens of products for you to take advantage of: scheduling a DMV appointment, filing an insurance claim, disputing an unjust seatbelt ticket, or renewing your car registration from anywhere in the U.S.
Sign up with DoNotPay right now to explore the numerous ways we can make your life easier.