How Much Does Jury Duty Pay? Laws by State
- What happens to your salary
- How to get off work hassle-free if you use DoNotPay
State jury duty laws differ from one another. Some states don’t offer any reimbursement to their jurors, which means you have to pay any expense that might occur on your own. In other states, you might receive up to $50 per day.
Take a look at the following table to see jury duty pay laws by state and the amounts you can expect per day:
|State||Pay per Day||State||Pay per Day||State||Pay per Day|
|District of Columbia||$30||Mississippi||$5||South Carolina||$0|
Outside of basic pay per day, state jury duty laws also define travel reimbursement packages and employer obligations to jury-duty employees. While the federal court doesn’t regulate any of the two, only a handful of states don't offer travel reimbursement.
In most cases, the employer doesn’t have to pay salary to the absent employee and may force them to take unpaid time off. The District of Columbia and the following states have a law that requires employers to pay salaries to employees on jury duty leave:
Employers who are reluctant to let their employees leave often threaten with:
- A decrease in salary
- Health benefit removal
Most people aren’t aware that the jury duty law protects them from any form of mistreatment regarding jury duty leave. If you hand in a formal jury duty request letter, the employer has no choice but to let you leave without any repercussions.
The jury duty law enforces employers to allow employees to go on a jury duty leave, regardless of how many times they were summoned. To receive leave approval, you’ll need to submit a formal request—you can do that effortlessly with DoNotPay.
Our app will generate the request letter on your behalf—all you need to do is:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Navigate to the Request Jury Duty Leave product
- Answer a few questions
- Upload a photo of your jury summons
You can download the letter or instruct our app to send it to the employer directly.
DoNotPay’s forte is its versatility—you can use the app to resolve any problem of legal or bureaucratic nature!
As soon as you subscribe to our platform, you’ll be able to:
- Draft any legal document with ease, including a divorce settlement agreement
- Skip waiting on hold when reaching out to customer service reps
- Sign up for any free trial worry-free with our virtual credit card
- Demand a late, missing, or damaged delivery refund
- Cancel any subscription or membership on time
- Book an appointment with the DMV stress-free
- Put an end to workplace discrimination
- Create a power of attorney document
- Create perfect passport photos
- Sign up for a clinical trial
- Get free raffle tickets
Want to get more familiar with our extensive product range? Check out how, for one low monthly fee, we can help you both save and earn money by:
- Filing insurance or warranty claims
- Sending a financial aid appeal letter
- Waiving your college application fees
- Turning any gift card balance into cash
- Locating your missing assets in minutes
- Showing you how to reduce your utility bills
- Assisting you in lowering your property taxes
- Appealing parking tickets in any city in the U.S.
- Ensuring that you get a refund from any company
- Getting compensation from airlines for delayed flights