How to Get a Building Permit in Jefferson County
To construct a house or engage in home remodeling projects in Jefferson County, you must obtain a . The building permit protects your home by ensuring that all the construction or remodeling plans comply with the area's acceptable building permit standards.
Before a building permit is issued, a planner must conduct an area analysis to review if the project is consistent with the Unified Development Code (UDC), stormwater provisions, and development standards. The application process takes up to 120 days, excluding the time taken to make any revisions if any.
The lengthy and tedious process can stall your project or lengthen your project's timeline. However, DoNotPay can help you apply for your building permit in easy steps to help you get started on your project as soon as possible.
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Jefferson County?
A building permit in Jefferson County is issued to any corporation, firm, or individual who wants to undertake any construction activity. The permit is necessary for:
- Remodeling, renovation, or repair projects
- Any new construction
- Building demolition
- Alterations or building additions
- Swimming pool installation or demolition.
The Jefferson County building permit is not only a legal requirement but also:
- It makes the selling of your property easier since it complies with the building codes
- Provides you with total assurance of home safety and protection
- It saves you money in the long run, as any construction without a building permit can attract a hefty penalty or fine.
What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Building Permit in Jefferson County?
To apply for a , you'll be required to submit several building documents, which vary depending on the type of project. The following are the standard documents required to process a commercial and residential building permit.
- Structural engineering calculations
- Architectural floor plans
- Any document with technical details about the building or construction
- Mechanical, plumbing, and electrical drawings
- Site plan
- Compliance form for disability access
How to Get a Building Permit in Jefferson County
You can apply for your building permit in one of the following three ways:
1. Online Application
Visit the Jefferson County website to make an online application for mechanical residential permits, re-roofing, electrical, and plumbing permits. You'll need to open an account on the County's portal to apply online.
The account enables you to track the status of your application, pending activities, and schedule physical inspections and visits. After opening the account, fill in the required details on the form presented and upload all the supporting documents.
Once you have uploaded the documents, you will need to pay the upfront fees to acquire a waiting number to proceed to the next step – Plan review.
2. Email Application
To apply via email, download the building permit application form. Then, fill out the form with all the required information to avoid your application getting dismissed.
In case of any query, call the customer support team on Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
3. In-Person Visitation
You can visit the development and transportation department offices at 100 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 3540, Golden, CO 80419. Carry all the construction or building's supporting documents during your visit.
The offices are open from Monday to Thursday, from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
What Is the Cost of Getting a Building Permit in Jefferson County?
Below is a summary of the building permit fees depending on the building's total cost. The fees are determined by the average construction cost and the square footage.
|$1 - $2000||$55 - $70|
|$2000 - $40,000||$69 for the first $2,000 plus $11 for each additional $1,000|
|$40,000 - $100,000||$487 for the first $40,000 plus $9 for each additional $1,000|
|$100,000 - $500,000||$1,027 for the first $100,000 plus $7 for each additional $1,000|
|$500,000 - 1M||$3,827 for the first $500,000 plus $5 for each additional $1,000|
What Fees Are Associated With Getting a Permit?
|An inspection outside of normal business hours||$100 per hour|
|Inspection with no specific fees||$100 per hour|
|Additional plan review required by revisions, additions, or changes||$100 per hour|
How to Apply for a Building Permit in Jefferson County With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay provides you with a hassle-free option of applying for a building permit in Jefferson County. Applying for a permit is a tedious and complex process that can frustrate your construction plans, but with the help of DoNotPay, you can request your permit using these easy steps.
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
DoNotPay Can Help You Acquire All Types of Permit and Permissions
If you have a home or a construction project in other states like Sarasota, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Palm Beach, we can help you obtain the building permits. We can also help you get the necessary documents for the building permit application.
What Else Can DoNotPay Help You With?
Apart from helping you get a , we can help you obtain other licenses, permits, and certificates, including:
- Fishing licenses
- Hunting licenses
- Pet licenses
- Car registration renewal
- Birth certificates
- Marriage certificates
- Death certificates
- Citizenship and naturalization certificates
We work with all companies and government agencies to help you obtain licenses, permits, and any information about handling the procedures and service with one click of a button. today to get started.