Do You Want Compensation for a JCPL Power Outage? We Can Help
Spoiled food and medications. Injuries. Lost revenue. These are just a few things that might happen during a JCPL power outage. Getting compensated by First Energy Corporation's subsidiaries for losses and damages due to a power outage isn't easy, but it's entirely possible.
You have two options: Go it alone, or have a "robot lawyer" like DoNotPay back you up.
What Causes Power Outage?
There are several causes of a JCPL power outage. Some of these are:
|Natural Causes||Strong winds, lightning, snow, ice on the lines, and rain can cause a power outage. A tree branch contacting power lines is an addition.|
|Equipment Failures||Not every time a piece of equipment can do its job perfectly. It requires maintenance and repairs once broken. It includes problems with switches, cables, transformers, etc.|
|Human Error||There are times when we unintentionally contact power lines causing power outages. Examples are traffic accidents and placing an antenna near a power cable.|
|Scheduled Maintenance||Part of maintaining the safety and performance of equipment is maintenance. Sometimes scheduled maintenance is needed to avoid accidents in the future.|
How You Can Check for a JCPL Power Outage
When the lights go out at your home or place of business, the first thing you want to do is find out if it's a widespread outage or simply a problem within your own home (or with a late utility bill, of course). Here's how to check the status of a JCPL power outage:
- Navigate to Jersey Central Power & Light's home page.
- Scroll down and click on the "View Outage" graphic in the center of the first third of the page.
- If there are any outages, they'll be marked by numbered icons on the JCPL power outage map.
- Click on the icons near you to see if your property is included in the outage.
This Is a Good Time to Report an Outage
From the JCPL power outage map page, you can click the "report outage" button on the top right corner of the page, or you can text REG to 544487 (LIGHTS). After, you can check the outage status by texting STAT to 544487 for the latest information about an outage you've reported.
Jersey Central Power & Light depends on consumers to report outages caused by downed power lines and other localized issues.
Get Compensated for a JCPL Power Outage
If you think you need to be compensated for damages incurred during a power outage, you can either go through First Energy Corporation and JCPL or take the simpler route by enlisting DoNotPay's help.
What Documents You Need to File a Power Outage Compensation Claim
- Record the date, times, and duration of the power outage.
- Note whether you reported the outage, and what time you made the report.
- Do an inventory of any items that were lost or damaged during the outage.
- Home and/or business electronics
- Interrupted internet service
- Medical electronics
- Estimated lost revenue
- Personal injuries
- Temperature-sensitive food and medication
- Any other injuries, losses, or damages
- Photograph all damages or injuries.
- Rename digital files with your first and last name to prevent misfiling
- Print out clear physical copies if you plan to mail your claim
- Ask your medical provider for an itemized medical bill.
- Be prepared to provide your service address, account number, and any names on the account.
How to Get Compensation for an Outage on Your Own
The best way to get results if you want to file a compensation claim is to write a physical letter and enclose hard copies of your documents. Here are the steps we suggest:
- Call Jersey Central Power & Light customer service at 1-800-662-3115
- Ask for the name, title, phone number, and mailing address of the person in charge of formal complaints having to do with lost services.
- If you decide to call and speak with that specific employee, have your documents handy and a pen and paper for notes. Be sure to record the date and time of your phone call.
- If you opt to mail your request, write a cover letter explaining your issue and why you feel you are entitled to compensation.
- Mail your documents, including your account information, to the supplied name and address with USPS Delivery Confirmation service.
- Call and follow up in a week to ensure your request was received.
How to Get Compensation for an Outage Using DoNotPay
If you want to get compensation for a JCPL power outage but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 9 easy steps:
- Go to the Outage Refunds product on DoNotPay.
- Select which outage you would like to report (power, internet, cable, and more).
- Select your energy provider and enter your account number.
- Indicate when the outage started and how long it lasted.
- Verify your account information.
- If you want to be reimbursed for losses related to a power outage, choose whether you want to be reimbursed for personal injuries, damaged property, or both.
- Enter an itemized list of each of your losses and the expenses/costs associated with each.
- Upload documents or photographic evidence that proves your losses. Also add the names of any witnesses who can attest to your losses if possible.
- Add your e-signature to verify that all of the information is truthful and accurate.
Does DoNotPay Help With Other Types of Outages?
Yes! We'll advocate for you if you're a customer with any of the following utility companies:
Why Should You Use DoNotPay?
- Fast—We'll prompt you for your information in just a few easy steps!
- Easy—You don't have to waste time on the phone or compiling all the physical paperwork!
- Successful—We'll give you your best chance at receiving compensation for damages, injuries, and lost income.
Let DoNotPay advocate for you today!