All About Indiana Property Tax Exemptions for Seniors
Seniors are one of the groups that need property tax reduction the most, as they usually pay their tax expenses with their retirement savings. Despite living in a state with a tax rate below 1%, every dollar they can save means the world to them.
Almost all U.S. states—including Indiana—have come up with certain ways to help senior citizens lower their property taxes.
Definition of Property Taxes
Law obliges every person who owns a certain property to pay taxes for it. Local government representatives calculate the value of your property and determine your tax amount according to it.
Tax laws and regulations aren’t the same in all U.S. states. These expenses depend on many factors, such as your age, annual income, the market value of your property, and many others.
Why Do You Need To Pay Property Taxes?
The money you set aside for property taxes goes to the local authorities. They use it for enhancing various systems and services within the state, including:
- Road constructions
- Protective services
- Parks and green areas
- Education and libraries
- Transportation systems
- Emergency and hospitals
Strategies for Reducing Your Property Taxes
If you find your tax bills too high, you can try several different approaches to lower them. Here are some of them:
- Check the available tax relief programs
- Be present during the property tax assessment to make sure it’s fair
- Make sure you don’t renovate your home before the assessment
- Get informed about available property tax exemptions in the state
- Check whether the information on your tax bills is correct and report inaccuracies
Property tax exemptions are one of the best ways to lower your tax bills. Besides the exemptions for senior citizens, you can apply for similar benefits if you are a veteran, disabled person, or agricultural property holder.
Senior Citizens Property Tax Exemptions in Indiana
The state of Indiana provides two types of senior citizens property tax exemptions:
- Over 65 Tax Deduction
- Over 65 Tax Credit—or Over 65 Circuit Border
The table below shows the details of both programs:
|Tax Exemption Details||Over 65 Tax Deduction||Over 65 Tax Credit|
|The applicant needs to be an Indiana citizen||Yes||Yes|
The requester needs to be the owner of the property in question
The deduction amount should be
Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) shouldn’t exceed
Assessed property value shouldn’t exceed
You are allowed to apply for both programs if you meet all the requirements.
Apply for the Indiana Property Tax Exemptions Using DoNotPay
Lowering your tax bills can be a true challenge, as the exemptions don’t apply automatically—you need to find them on your own. It means you need to comb through tax-related websites and collect application criteria and instructions for each exemption.
DoNotPay reveals the handiest tips by creating a personalized manual on reducing property taxes. All you need to do is complete a short questionnaire, and we will provide:
- Lists of all tax exemptions you are entitled to
- Instructions for collecting the necessary application documents
- Step-by-step guide on proper application submission
To get your case-specific tax reduction handbook, proceed as follows:
- Log in to DoNotPay using your preferred web browser
- Select the Property Tax service
- Provide us with the relevant details—your location, date of birth, annual income, etc.
Right after you submit your answers, our app will generate a custom-made guide for you!
With DoNotPay, you can learn how to get the necessary assistance for requesting tax exemptions if you own property in:
Rock Your Property Tax Assessment Appeals With Our App
The manual we create for you provides important guidelines for composing an appeal letter, increasing your chances for a better outcome. It contains:
- Tips for negotiating with your local assessor
- Instructions on gathering the required evidence
- Guidelines for submitting appeal documentation the easy way
Apart from assisting you with senior property tax reductions, you can explore our articles to find the answers to other important questions, such as:
- How to apply for property tax relief?
- Are churches exempt from property taxes?
- What are the states with the lowest property tax?
- Can you claim your property taxes on your income tax?
- Are low-income homeowners entitled to property tax exemptions?
DoNotPay Offers a Variety of Services
DoNotPay is the ultimate virtual assistant that takes over all those annoying tasks you don’t want to deal with!
We can do all that and much more!
Keep Your Money in Check With DoNotPay
How often do you sign up for a free trial and then forget to cancel it before it expires? Unexpected charges are the worst, but you can prevent them if you use our free trial card. DoNotPay’s virtual credit card is not connected to your bank account, which means that no money can be taken from it.
Our app also has the largest database of unclaimed assets in the United States, so you can find and claim your lost funds quickly.