Do You Qualify for the Illinois Agricultural Property Tax Exemption?
Illinois is one of the priciest states to live in, property-tax-wise. If you need help paying taxes, learning about property tax exemptions is crucial. We’ll shed some light on the Illinois agricultural property tax exemption and offer guidance regarding the property tax relief programs and property tax appeals in Illinois.
With our help, you won’t have to move to a state with low property taxes to have a reduced tax bill!
The Property Tax Rates in Illinois Explained
Since Illinois is in the top ten states with the highest property taxes, you may wonder where all that money goes. The collected property taxes are used to fund:
- School districts
- Fire departments
- Law enforcement
- Road constructions
- Community colleges
Depending on what needs to be funded and how much, the property tax rates vary, which is why they can be considerably different across counties.
Check out an overview of the highest and lowest property tax rates in different Illinois counties:
|Illinois County||Property Tax Rate|
What Is the Illinois Agricultural Property Tax Exemption?
The agricultural property tax exemption in Illinois is not technically an exemption, such as the senior citizen or the person with disabilities exemptions where a portion of your home’s assessed value is exempt from tax payments. In some states, these types of property tax relief programs may be in the form of a tax freeze or rebate.
How Are Farms in Illinois Assessed?
Agricultural property taxes in Illinois are complicated. The Illinois Department of Revenue published a 54-page manual explaining the farmland assessments, which may give you a glimpse of how convoluted the process is.
The most basic distinction between agricultural properties is the following:
- Farmland—assessed according to its ability to generate income, i.e., its agricultural economic value (AEV)
- Farm building—assessed at one-third of the value that’s contributing to the farm’s productivity
- Farm home site and farm dwelling—appraised at one-third of their market value
Illinois further breaks down agricultural properties based on land use:
|Permanent pasture||Every pastureland except for:
What Property Tax Exemptions Are There in Illinois?
Illinois offers several exemptions to help you manage paying your property taxes:
- General homestead exemption (GHE)
- Long-time occupant homestead exemption (only in Cook County)
- Homestead exemption for people with disabilities
- Veterans with disabilities exemption for specially adapted housing
- Standard homestead exemption for veterans with disabilities
- Homestead improvement exemption
- Property Tax Extension Limitation Law (PTELL)
- Veterans exemption
- Natural disaster homestead exemption
- Senior citizens homestead exemption
- Senior Citizens Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption (SCAFHE)
- Senior Citizens Real Estate Tax Deferral Program
- Non-homestead exemptions for religious, charitable, or educational organizations
Reduce Your Property Tax Bill With the Help of DoNotPay
Knowing what property tax exemptions Illinois has in store for you is just the beginning. It’s a long way to receiving a tax bill with fewer figures. This is where our property tax guide comes in! Once you obtain our guide, you’ll have the proper tools to tackle applying for tax exemptions, appealing the assessments, and more.
Based on your unique situation, DoNotPay will create a personalized guide to help you save both time and money while dealing with your taxes. This valuable guide consists of two major parts:
|Property Tax Exemptions||Property Assessment Appeals|
Getting the Property Tax guide requires only a few clicks. Follow these instructions, and our AI-powered app will generate it for you:
- Open DoNotPay in any web browser
- Find the Property Tax feature
- Answer several questions about yourself
- Provide the necessary info about your property
More Tips To Help You With Your Property Taxes
You can take action on your own and cut your tax bill even further. Try your luck with these strategies:
- Put off home renovation projects so that you don’t increase your home’s value, and with it, your tax bill
- Scan your tax bill for errors
- Research your neighbors’ properties—you may find comparable homes and check for any discrepancies as the info should be available online
- Keep up with the property tax exemptions in Illinois as eligibility factors and exempt amounts may change over time
Use Our Robot Lawyer To Eliminate Pesky Tasks
Administrative tasks are often time-consuming, which is why many people give up on them before even trying to tackle them. Requesting refunds, canceling services, signing up for clinical trials, reporting stalkers and robocalls, and trying to find unclaimed money are all processes that would usually take a long time to resolve.
With the help of DoNotPay, though, all of these admin hurdles become a piece of cake. In just a few minutes, our app can assist you in appealing parking tickets, getting in touch with your imprisoned loved one, getting an extended warranty, reporting copyright infringement, and so much more!
Don’t Break the Bank—Sign Up for DoNotPay!
Our app can save you lots of money by helping you get a refund from any airline, sign up for a free trial without your credit card info, earn off persistent and illegal spam emails, and get an application fee waiver for a college you apply to.