The Easiest Way to Get a Hudson County Birth Certificate
It's rarely easy to get a copy of a government-issued form or certificate if you plan on going it alone. For a Hudson County birth certificate, there are a few different ways to obtain a copy, which tends to complicate an already murky process that isn't user-friendly. But instead of trying to navigate the process without any help, DoNotPay is here to streamline the paperwork and get you to the finish line as soon as possible.
About Hudson County Birth Certificates
The process for getting a Hudson County birth certificate has changed in recent years. Keep the following in mind if you're looking to replace a lost birth certificate or if you need a copy for your records:
- You can go through Hudson County/Jersey City or the New Jersey Vital Records office.
- File a birth certificate request in person, via mail, phone, or online.
- Copies are certified or uncertified
- Copies are $25 total (plus fees)
- Same-day processing is possible in person (with lengthy wait times)
- Expedited shipping is available
Through 2021, you could only go through the main New Jersey Office of Vital Statistics and Registry in Trenton for copies of birth certificates for newborns, but now you can go directly through the Jersey City office. To get started with a birth certificate through the Jersey City office, call 201-547-5150 for specific instructions.
Obtaining a Hudson County Birth Certificate by Yourself
To get a copy of a birth certificate in Hudson County, consider the following steps to get you started:
- Choose which office and submission method to utilize.
- Print the correct application form if you want to submit it by mail or in person.
- Submit a copy of an acceptable ID and payment with the application.
- For certified copies, submit proof you have a right to the birth certificate (more below).
- Follow up with the office to ensure the request is in process.
New Jersey is strict when it comes to obtaining certified copies of birth certificates. Along with the completed application, you will need to submit a copy of a government-issued ID and proof that you have a legal right to a copy of the birth certificate; mostly, this will be parents and legal guardians, but there are exceptions. Always send a copy of your ID and not your actual ID.
Methods of Requesting a Hudson County Birth Certificate
Determining the right route for obtaining a birth certificate is important. For mail and in-person requests, you will need to fill out either the genealogical form or the non-genealogical form. In New Jersey, any birth record older than 80 years is a genealogical request.
You can mail completed forms to:
The State of New Jersey, Office of Vital Office and Registry
P.O. Box 370
Trenton, NJ 08625-0370
It's also possible to receive a certified birth certificate on the same day in Hudson County, although you should expect a long line, and all your paperwork has to be exactly in order. You can do this at the Trenton Office at 140 East Front St., but there is at least a two-hour processing time in addition to waiting in line. This is a favored option for those who need a certificate in a hurry (e.g., for a passport).
Meanwhile, a mail-in request might be turned around in as little as 4-6 weeks, while online requests are likely to take 8-12 weeks.
Fees and Ordering a Hudson County Birth Certificate by Phone
It's important to take a look at the complicated set of fees on the main New Jersey Vital Records site before beginning. The typical online order will run you $25 for the birth certificate plus two separate $5 processing fees. Additional copies are $2 extra for each one, and you can pay $12 for expedited shipping. You also have the option of requesting a copy over the phone (through VitalChek) at 877-622-7549. On top of the $25 fee, it's another $12.95 for the phone processing fee.
Let DoNotPay Get Your Hudson County Birth Certificate for You
The best way to save yourself a headache is to utilize the time-saving DoNotPay tool for birth certificates. With DoNotPay, all you have to do is follow the following eight steps:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why DoNotPay Is the Way to Go for Birth Certificates
Nobody wants to go through all the hassle of filling out paperwork only to find out an error was made, requiring you to start from scratch. Due to extended processing times for Hudson County and Jersey City birth certificates, going back to the end of the processing line due to a small error could be enormously frustrating.
That's where DoNotPay can provide a critical bit of assistance that will let you save time right away but also allow you to walk away confident your request will be processed correctly.
We can also assist you with the following inquiries:
The Many Tools of DoNotPay
The advantages of having DoNotPay in your pocket are nearly endless. On top of helping with a host of legal quandaries, you can also:
- Quickly appeal parking tickets
- Cancel any subscription
- Clean up your credit report
- Fight and waive fees
With a versatile service designed with the busy consumer in mind, DoNotPay has all sorts of ways to make your life easier!