How to Remove HP Sears From Your Credit Report
For many people, achieving and maintaining a high credit score isn't easy. If you're not making much money and struggling to cover basic expenses, you may have relied on credit to cover the shortfalls. Maybe a medical or other family emergency has set you back considerably. Or perhaps, you're not the most prudent or organized with your finances, and you find it hard not to make a mess of your money.
But now, you're in the process of rebuilding or improving your credit. And while before you completely ignored your credit report, you've found yourself checking it almost religiously.
Maybe you've found the name in the collections section but are unsure what it is. However, you know that this collection account is dragging your score down considerably, and you won't be able to improve your score all that much with it still there.
HP Sears and Your Debt
First thing: HP Sears has nothing to do with the Sears department store. Young consumers may not be aware that Sears was one of the leading national department store chains in the pre-Amazon days. Today, post-bankruptcy, it's been reduced to just a couple dozen brick and mortar stores.
But for those who've been to one recently, the holding company that owns those stores does not also own a collection agency called HP Sears. And for those who know of the department store, an HP Sears collection listing most likely isn't some long overdue home decor bill suddenly rearing its ugly head.
HP Sears refers to a nearly century-old debt collection company specializing in helping creditors receive all or some of what they're owed from consumers. Like other collection agencies, they'll reach out to you through emails, texts, phone calls, and mail if you owe money to a business in one of the following industries:
- Financial Services
They also specialize in collecting money from businesses that owe other businesses. But unless you're an entrepreneur, you likely won't be contacted by HP Sears for this reason.
When you see in the Collections section of your credit account, it will likely be challenging to have it removed. And if you need to increase your credit score quickly, there are other steps you can and should take as well.
How Can I Quickly Improve My Credit Score?
You can take several steps to improve your credit score that may have a quicker impact than trying to get collection accounts removed from your report. They include:
- Limit or eliminate applications for new lines of credit
- Reduce your debt by paying down more than the minimum
- Pay your open credit accounts on time each month
It may make sense to open a new credit account in some cases. When you have only one card or two with low credit limits, a new card can help you increase your total amount of available credit, increasing your score. But beware, doing so can backfire in the following ways:
- If you have low credit, the cards available to you may have high-interest rates and fees. Higher minimum payments could lead to late or missed payments if you're already struggling to cover your monthly bills.
- If your credit score is average or below average, you may need to apply for several cards before approval. Multiple credit inquiries in a short period may lower your credit score.
- If you use all your available credit quickly and don't pay off the balance in full each month, your credit score will not improve. In fact, it could get worse!
Nevertheless, these tactics can help you quickly boost your score. Of course, you'll also want to remove negative items from your report, starting with collections.
Verifying HP Sears Is Trying to Collect the Right Amount
Just as with your credit score, there are several ways to approach removing collections listings from your report. Your first step is to make certain that the debt is yours and listed for the right amount. Otherwise, you may spend time and money needlessly.
Here is their contact information so you can get in touch with them easily:
|Address||2000 18th St, Bakersfield, CA 93301, United States|
When HP Sears first contacts you, ask them to verify your debt in writing. They will do so with a debt validation letter they will send you in the mail. This letter should list the original creditor as well as details about your debt.
Review this letter carefully. If the debt has been reported inaccurately or is not yours, you'll need to dispute it with the credit bureaus. Once you've formally disputed the debt (you can do so by sending a letter), the bureaus will investigate. They'll make sure HP Sears no longer appears on your credit report if you're right.
Getting HP Sears off Your Credit Report
However, if you do owe the amount listed, you'll need to pay the debt in full and request that HP Sears remove the listing from your report. Or else you'll need to negotiate an amount you can pay in exchange for its removal to fix your credit score.
Neither is a slam dunk, and either option may not help you get HP Sears off your credit report. And if you've never gone through this process before, you could open yourself up to financial and legal liability.
The best way to approach removing a collections account is through a trusted service like DoNotPay. To get started, simply:
- Search Clean Credit Report on DoNotPay.
- Prepare a recent copy of your credit report that you can use as reference.
- Let us guide you through the 4 potential options:
- If you've already paid off your debt, we'll help you file a Goodwill Removal Request to get it removed.
- If you notice any errors in your report (we have a list of common errors you can use!), we'll help you file a credit dispute to the creditor or major credit bureaus.
- If there are no errors, we'll check if you're still eligible to file a debt validation request. If they can't validate your debt, they're required to remove it from your report and they can't collect it!
- Lastly, if none of the above options work, we'll help you file a pay-to-delete negotiation letter. You can customize the amount you are willing to pay in exchange for getting the item removed.
Following the above steps will give you the best chance of quickly removing HP Sears from your credit report without paying more than you need to.
Other Financial Matters DoNotPay Can Help With
We're not only well-versed at helping people like you clean up their credit reports, but we can also help you manage various other financial matters like:
Of course, if you're looking to get HP Sears off your credit report, we've got the tools for you. And DoNotPay can help you improve your credit score in other ways too!