How To Write a Scholarship Essay Like a Pro—The Best Tips
Wondering how to write a scholarship essay that wins without creative blocks and mistakes? What elements should you include in it, and what is the best way to create a solid structure? How important is this part of the application? The answers to these questions are all you should consider when pursuing essay scholarships or other awards that require such a piece of writing.
By following the tips from our guide, you will discover the secret of creating a flawless scholarship essay and getting bigger chances of receiving the needed financial support!
While documents and forms represent a boring, bureaucratic part of your scholarship application, an essay gives it a personal touch. Its purpose is to:
- Distinguish your scholarship request from the others since most applications are usually similar to each other
- Represent you as a real person and show your way of thinking and perceiving different life events and endeavors
- Explain your qualifications thoroughly, including your educational, professional, and personal achievements
- Emphasize your attitude towards various issues connected with your spheres of interest
- Persuade a selection committee that you are an ideal candidate for the scholarship in question
The topic you should cover in your essay depends on the type of scholarship you are applying for. The awards may be dedicated to various groups of students—like women, African and other international students, military veterans, transgender applicants, or any other. While some topics require you to write about your life plans and qualifications in general, others can be more creative.
A well-written scholarship essay must also be well structured, which means it must contain:
- Essay body
- Essay conclusion
- Smooth transitions between parts of the essay
The introduction of your scholarship essay should:
- Be attention-grabbing
- Present you in a few short sentences
- Provide an explanation of the matter that will be discussed in the essay
You should make this part as creative as possible as this will be the first thing the selection board will read.
Once you introduce the reader to your story, proceed with creating the body of your essay. Each new idea or point should be presented by a new sentence or paragraph as this improves the readability and overall text flow.
If your essay has to be general, you should stick to describing your strengths, special abilities, and educational and career goals. What you write must convince the person reading the text that you deserve the scholarship more than other candidates and that you will use it right if you get it.
You can also:
- Explain how you would benefit from the scholarship in question
- Say why the specific skills you possess make you eligible for the award
- Disclose more info about the financial difficulties you have, if applicable
If the topic is related to a specific field, the purpose of this part is to show your opinion on it. It should represent a personal attitude but also include some facts and objective pros and cons, if applicable.
After finishing the most important part of your scholarship essay—its body—it’s time to summarize everything you have already written in a couple of sentences. This section should highlight the main points once again and express gratitude and appreciation towards the reader for taking the time to consider your request.
A good structure is significant but not enough. To make your essay even better and show that you are a solid candidate for the scholarship, you should polish it using a few tricks. Check out the table below for more details:
Our system can scan all available databases and find all scholarships and grants tailored to your needs before you know it! This means you can say goodbye to spending hours contacting scholarship providers or searching the internet for relevant results.
Another advantage of our app is that it can also apply for non-essay scholarships on your behalf, eliminating tiring procedures and administrative hassle. We will take care of everything in your name and send you an email confirmation once it’s all done!
To get our help with this matter, proceed as follows:
- Visit DoNotPay
- Go to Apply for Scholarships
- Answer several questions related to your educational or other specific qualifications
Our knowledge base also includes various handy guides on scholarships for dancers, cheerleaders, police officers, male nurses, scientists, and many more professions. By providing practical tips for getting these awards, we help you win more money to finance your schooling in a quick and easy way!
Since handling dull administrative tasks is a burden and no one likes doing them, DoNotPay developed a variety of neat features to ease many processes! With our nifty app, you can:
- Appeal a property tax assessment
- Get documents notarized from the comfort of your home
- Appeal parking tickets
- Create a child travel consent form with minimum effort
- File financial aid appeals
- Draft power of attorney documents
- File FOIA requests
- Submit anonymous HR complaints
We all love shopping, but it’s no secret that companies sometimes turn a fun experience into a nightmare, especially when they refuse to cooperate. DoNotPay is here to help you reach customer support without the hour-long wait and sue an uncooperative merchant in small claims court if necessary!
Need a refund? We can show you how to get your money back from any company in a snap!
Should you need to file an insurance or warranty claim and request gift card cash back or an item return, you can count on our app to assist you! DoNotPay can also show you how to discover any unclaimed funds under your name so that you can continue shopping like a pro.