How To Trademark a Username in a Few Simple Steps
Combining small businesses and social media is a marriage of convenience. Apart from providing advertising opportunities, platforms like Facebook and Instagram enable you to maintain a close relationship with your customers.
If your username has become an inseparable part of your brand identity, why not take steps to protect it? In this article, we explain how to trademark a username by using DoNotPay and explore the advantages of trademark registration.
Any symbol can be considered a trademark, and usernames are no exception. The only condition is that you either actively use it or intend to use it in commerce.
Trademarks come in the form of:
- Words or phrases
- Pictures or artwork
- Character designs
- Names (e.g., domain names, book series titles, and band names)
If you have an established online presence, you should consider filing a trademark for your username. While not legally required, a trademark is a necessary feature for growing brands with social media exposure. Here are some of the leading reasons why business owners should apply for registration:
- Legal protection—Much like copyright, trademarks and service marks will protect your brand from infringement
- Grounds for litigation—If a competitor tries to steal your trademark, you can pursue legal action against the infringing company or individual
- Proof of ownership—The federal court recognizes trademark registration certificates as irrefutable proof of ownership
- Instant recognizability—Customers will be able to identify your products more easily
- Interception of counterfeit goods—The U.S. Custom and Border Protection will confiscate imported goods labeled with your trademark. All you have to do is present the registration certificate
You don’t have to register a trademark to acquire a basic level of protection. Common law rights can safeguard your brand within a specified geographical area.
When it comes to usernames, applying for trademark registration is the best course of action. You will require more than local protection when doing business in online spaces.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office offers the following options:
- State registration—You can apply for a state-issued registration and protect your username within a certain U.S. state. The downside is that your rights as the trademark holder are limited to said state
- Federal registration—Once you acquire federal trademark protection, your username will be added to the public database. You can also use the R symbol in your trademark henceforth
- International registration—There are no international trademark protection laws that are universally acclaimed, but there is an international treaty. The Madrid Protocol has over a hundred signees and guarantees protection in most European countries
You can complete the registration process yourself if you fulfill all the trademark requirements. Check out how to trademark a username with the USPTO in the table below:
|Having an original username||You need to make sure your username isn’t already registered as a trademark. Make sure to do a thorough search of the USPTO database beforehand|
|Including trademark categorization||According to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), all goods and services should be sorted into trademark classes. Since the categories are broad, you can find a fitting placement for your username|
|Completing a trademark application form||The last step is filling out a Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) form with the following data:
Note that the cost of registration depends on the filing option you choose. Applicants are charged for each trademark category they include in the form. The pricing can range from $250 per class to $700 (paper filing option).
If you choose to hire an IP lawyer to check the paperwork, you are looking at additional expenses. The flat attorney fees are incredibly steep, ranging from $200 to $2,000.
If you want to know how to trademark a username without breaking a sweat, consider subscribing to our app! DoNotPay offers a wide range of helpful services, including the Trademark Registration product. Why risk having your application rejected when you can file a flawless trademark application form with a click of the mouse?
All you have to do is:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Select our Trademark Registration product
- Answer a series of questions regarding your business and the trademark type
- Enclose proof of paid registration fees
Once the document is complete, you can authorize it with an e-signature. DoNotPay will make sure all the paperwork is submitted to the USPTO in due time.
DoNotPay has created a plethora of simple-to-use features that will help you run your business the best way possible. Here are some aspects we can help you take care of:
You can use our app to resolve many other business-related issues. DoNotPay can help you deal with fake reviews that are ruining the reputation of your business by analyzing the harmful review and figuring out the best way to go about it.
Do you wish to protect the privacy of your clients and prevent their data from being collected while they are on your website? Use our app to file a self-certification request with the Privacy Shield program.
If you need help automating the filing of 83(b) election forms, DoNotPay has the right solution for you and your employees or shareholders! With our app, you will be able to finish the entire process with a few clicks.
Another perk of using our app is that we can help you fax and mail any documents or letters without having to leave your home or office.
DoNotPay will help you handle all your business tasks in the blink of an eye!