How to Stop Child Support From Suspending Your License
When it comes to paying child support, you must stay updated on your payments. You can suffer consequences if you do not. One of the biggest consequences isn't the additional fines or the garnished wages. It is the suspension of your driver's license that’s most frustrating for many parents, because that’s how we get to work. No type of license is immune from suspension.
If you need help lowering your child support payments so that you can make them more manageable, DoNotPay can help you with that request. With lower child support payments, you can stay ahead of your obligations and prevent your license from being suspended.
How Are Child Support Payments Enforced
In most states,child support payments are now routed through a government-controlled system to be properly monitored for payment. When you have been given a child support amount that is required, you can make that payment in several ways:
- Automatic draft
- Paying through the phone.
- Mail in payments to the child support office.
- Pay through an online portal.
- Pay in person at the appropriate office.
All of these options are available to parents who must pay child support. They keep track of payments made, when they were paid, and how much was paid, so there is no discrepancy later with the payments. You never want to make payments from one parent directly to the other. These payments cannot be accurately tracked and can make you appear behind in court.
Check out the table below to know more about child support guidelines for your state:
Budgeting Tips for Child Support Payments
If you have recently been given a child support amount that you are required to pay each month, you may be trying to figure out the best way to budget and pay this amount. Below are a few budgeting tips to keep in mind to maintain your child support payments and stay current.
- Make sure that you list your child support payment as one of your most important priorities. Like your mortgage and utilities, it is just as critical, so you want to include it in the funds that you need to pay.
- Cut costs with hobbies or other unnecessary expenses. While some things you may enjoy regularly, they are not necessities. An example would be eating out multiple times a week or going on expensive vacations that use up a lot of your money.
- Reevaluate your vehicles and determine if you can afford them with your insurance and child support. You may need to downsize to a more affordable vehicle considering this payment is not going away and will be required until the child is at least 18 years old.
- Consider a side income if you cannot cut corners on your current expenses. If you want to maintain your current lifestyle and keep up with child support payments, you may need to earn a supplemental income to cover the child support costs until you can pay down your debt.
The best thing you can do when paying child support is understand how important it is. Your child needs to receive the funds to cover food, clothing, shelter, and other basic expenses. You could be impacted negatively by having your license suspended if you cannot keep up.
What Happens if You Don’t Pay Back Child Support?
- Wages garnished from employer or unemployment office.
- Losing your income tax refund and any possible lottery winnings garnished.
- Additional fines may be added to your total.
- Suspended passport.
- Suspended driver’s license.
- An arrest warrant issued and jail time.
These are all consequences that you can regularly face when you do not pay your child support that is owed. Depending on how far you are behind or when the last payment was made, it could determine the severity of the punishment.
Lower Child Support Payments With the Help of DoNotPay
How to lower child support debt using DoNotPay:
- Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.
- Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made and the number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.
- Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.
Why Use DoNotPay?
DoNotPay can help answer questions such as:
And other concerns you may have about child support.
Choosing DoNotPay to help you lower your child support payment is the best option. This is because DoNotPay considers the following for each of their customers:
- Convenience. They want you to do this process wherever you are and are most comfortable.
- Simplicity. Paying for child support can be overcomplicated, but not with DoNotPay.
- Efficiency. You can get all of the required information upfront to get your child support payment sent on time.
What Else Can DoNotPay Help You With?
In addition to helping stop child support from suspending your license, DoNotPay can provide a few other beneficial services.
- Gather information regarding small claims court
- Appeal for financial aid with a letter pleading your case
- Demand compensation for defamation
Try it today!