Learn Everything About How To Return Items
Returning items can be a hassle, especially if stores have vague return policies with no clear instructions. Some companies allow in-store returns, while others accept returns by mail.
Our comprehensive guide will tell you how to return items without breaking a sweat! You can also use DoNotPay to make returns even quicker!
Depending on the store in question, you can return an item:
- In person
- By Mail
Numerous companies have an in-store return policy. The standard return window ranges between 15 and 60 days, although some stores can allocate fewer or more days.
To return an item, you may need to:
- Show the original receipt
- Present the items with their original tags still attached
- Have the items in their original packaging
You can walk in with your receipt and items and request to have the returns processed. Depending on the store, it can take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to complete the process.
The standard process of returning items by mail goes something like this:
- Log in to your account on the store website
- Initiate a return request by filling out a form or providing your details
- Upload your receipt or confirmation email
- Provide photos of the item you want to return (in some cases)
- Receive a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number or some other type of identifier
- Pack your items securely and ship them out
Some stores require you to call their customer support number or send over an email to initiate a return request. Many stores do not provide free shipping, and either the amount is deducted from your refund, or you are expected to pay it yourself at the shipping agency.
You can usually return items that are not:
- Used or dirty
- Damaged or torn
- Missing their original tags and packaging
- Past their store mandated return window
You might be required to show a government-issued photo ID when you request a return. Stores do this to prevent fraudulent activities (in case you lose your receipt, for example).
Customer IDs can also help companies track customer demographics and reach conclusions by analyzing that data. This helps businesses build strategies to improve their user experience and return policies.
There are no federal laws in the United States that make refunds mandatory unless the product you received was defective or deliberately damaged. Whether or not a store gives you a refund for your return is entirely dependent on their in-house policies.
Navigating return policies can be confusing. If you don’t want to jump through multiple hoops to return an item, DoNotPay can help make the process easier.
All you have to do is:
- Log in to DoNotPay and locate the Return My Purchase product
- Provide some details about the item you’d like to return
- Upload some photos (if possible)
- Submit the request
We will generate a custom return request letter on your behalf and send it to the retailer. The letter will include the reason for your return and a deadline to make sure your request is processed as quickly as possible. We will also be sure to get you a shipping label so that you don’t have to pay extra!
We can help you initiate return requests with numerous retailers and stores all over the country. These stores include but are not limited to:
If the company you’re dealing with refuses to issue a refund, you can take it to small claims court with your personal robot lawyer assistant. We’ll create any legal document you may need for the lawsuit, have it notarized remotely, and fax it to anyone you specify in our short questionnaire.
Is there anything else you’d like us to help you with? No problem—rely on our AI-powered products to save the day:
- Get compensation for victims of crime
- Draft a divorce settlement agreement
- Create a power of attorney document
- Submit an anonymous HR complaint
- Sign up for any free trial risk-free
- Report email and text spammers
- Get a child travel consent form
- Get a virtual credit card
- Earn off robocalls
You can count on DoNotPay to lend a helping hand no matter what kind of struggle you’re dealing with. Need financial assistance? Check out how our app can lower your utility bills and property taxes, appeal your parking tickets, get you a refund from any company or airline, find your unclaimed money, get you free raffle tickets, check your gift card balance and turn it into cash, and so much more!
Dealing with a noisy neighbor or a creepy stalker? Report them using our app! Want to get a refund for a late or missing parcel? Say no more—we’ll help you get what’s rightfully yours in mere minutes.