How to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Any State Online
Coming to the point of choosing to part ways with someone you married some years ago is not always fun or straightforward. However, life has to go on. And you'll need your divorce certificate to prove that your marriage was legally dissolved. Therefore, you'd want to know how to get a divorce certificate without traveling too far.
When it's time to say goodbye to your marriage in the US, you or your partner must file for divorce in a court of law. After the settlement, you'll be issued with a divorce decree by the court. However, this document contains too much information than you might need in some situations, and that's where the divorce certificate comes in.
What Information is on a Divorce Certificate vs. Divorce Decree?
A divorce decree issued by the court and signed by the judge who finalized the divorce settlement contains finer details about the separation. These include property division, child/spousal support, custody rights, and other information specific to you concerning the divorce.
On the other hand, a divorce certificate can be viewed as a compressed format of the decree, which has eliminated most of the details and terms & conditions. The one-page document contains:
- The confirmation that you're divorced.
- Your name and that of your former partner.
- The place and date of the marriage dissolution.
Why Do You Need a Divorce Certificate?
The importance and use of a divorce certificate can be overlooked until you need to complete particular government, institutional, or personal tasks. Some of the places you may need a divorce certificate include:
- When you need to change your legal name.
- As evidence that you're single when remarrying.
- Getting a visa for travel and application for passports.
- Home mortgage loans, especially during refinancing.
- Application of landed immigration status.
- And any other place you may require to verify that you're divorced.
Where to Get a Divorce Certificate?
While divorce decrees are issued in the courts, divorce certificates are supplied by the vital records office or the state's health department where your divorce was registered. However, it's crucial and worth noting that not all states currently support issuing a divorce certificate, including Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Georgia, and Illinois. Below are a few resources about specific states where you can get your divorce certificate:
- Get a Texas divorce certificate
- Apply for a copy of a marriage dissolution certificate in Arkansas
- Obtain a copy of a certificate of divorce in Nevada
- How to get a divorce certificate in California
- Get a copy of certified divorce certificate in New York City
- Where to get a divorce certificate in Florida
You can look for your state on the divorce certificates page.
How Much for a Divorce Certificate and How Long Should You Wait?
The cost of applying for a divorce certificate varies from one state to another. For example, New York City charges $30 normally and $45 if you want priority handling. The other part that will affect your overall expenses is the shipping or method you choose to request the divorce certificate with.
On average, divorce certificates take about two weeks for processing, much like other records kept by the bureau of vital records. But again, this time can be longer or shorter depending on the number of requests the office where you're applying is receiving.
I Need a Certified Copy of My Divorce Certificate: How to Get the Copy by Yourself?
People named in the divorce certificates, their immediate family members, or people with legal orders can obtain a copy of the divorce certificate. For identification requirements, most states or counties will require you to produce government-issued identity documents such as a driver's license, ID/military card, passport, or a recent legal letter. You can choose to:
|Request via mail||You'll need to get the application forms, fill in & sign them, and then mail them (accompanied by other required documents) and a check. This process can be tedious and time-consuming.|
|Visit physical office||While practical if you're near the office, it can still be costly in terms of the gas/travel expenses and the time you might waste standing in long lines.|
|Fill out the online application||Some states have implemented mechanisms for applicants to file their requests online. But these services are still unreliable due to various inefficiencies and lack of seamless integration.|
Want to know how to get a divorce certificate online effectively? DoNotPay makes it quick and easy.
How to get a copy of a divorce certificate using DoNotPay?
Getting through with the divorce settlement already gave enough measure of its stress. We believe obtaining a certificate shouldn't. This has inspired us to create a fast, effective, and result-backed tool to enable you to get a divorce certificate with little hassle.
Get started with these 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
DoNotPay is an All-round Service Provider for all Your Needs
Looking for something else? We got your back!
- Get a marriage certificate online
- Apply for a birth certificate online
- Request a copy of a death certificate
- Get help in paying your bills
- File for insurance claims conveniently