How to Get a Certificate of Citizenship Quickly

Naturalization and Citizenship Certificate How to Get a Certificate of Citizenship Quickly

How to Get a Certificate of Citizenship Easily 

Not everyone can apply for a certificate of citizenship. To get one, you must either have been born abroad to US citizen parents or have been a citizen after birth before 18. However, if you're eligible, you might be wondering how to get a certificate of citizenship.

In this guide, we'll discuss the steps you should follow to get your certificate of citizenship and ways to apply for one easily using DoNotPay.

Replacement vs Initial Citizenship Certificates

During your initial application, you'll need to complete Form N-600 (Application for Certificate of Citizenship) with the USCIS. If you obtained citizenship through your parent(s), you might need their certificate to prove their citizenship status. You automatically become a citizen when one of your parents is naturalized or is born in the US. 

If your certificate is lost, damaged, or stolen, you can apply for a replacement by filling Form N-565 (Application for Replacement of Naturalization/Citizenship Document) with the USCIS. Additional reasons you may want a certificate replacement include changing your name, date of birth, or gender legally.

How Do I Fill Out Form N-600?

You don't need to take an English, history, geography, or civics test for naturalization as a derived citizen. There's also no standard for a good moral character. To complete your application, you only need to complete and submit Form N-600 and write a letter explaining why you believe that you're a US citizen. 

Here's how to fill out Form N-600:

  1. Fill in all relevant information, including your contact name, date of birth, SSN or alien registration number, etc.
  2. Clarify if you're a lawful permanent resident, nonimmigrant, refugee, or asylee.
  3. Provide specific information about your parents and confirm the dates of their presence in the US.
  4. Write N/A if you find a question that does not apply to you, or none if your answer is none.

After filling out the form, attach two 2-inch square passport-sized photos and other relevant supporting documents, including:

  • Your certificate of birth or records
  • Documents that show your parent's US citizenship
  • The birth certificate of your US citizen parent

How Do I Fill Out Form N-565?

This form allows you to reclaim your certificate of citizenship, a reparation certificate, a declaration of intention, or a naturalization certificate. You can get Form N-565 online on the USCIS website. 

  1. Fill in all sections in the form using black ink. Write N/A if a question doesn't apply to you or none if your answer to a question is none.
  2. Some information you must fill in includes your name, date of birth, country of birth, certificate number, alien registration number, and mailing address.
  3. Fill in your gender, marital status, height, when your last certificate was issued, other names, and whether you have lost or renounced your citizenship.
  4. Select why you're applying for a replacement.

Depending on your reason for applying for a replacement for your certificate of citizenship, you'll need specific supporting documents. These include:

  • Proof of your legal name change if you're applying because of a legal name change
  • A copy of your original certificate of citizenship
  • Two passport-sized photographs
  • The filing fee

How Long Does It Take To Get Your Certificate of Citizenship?

Upon your initial application for a citizenship certificate, you can wait for 9 to 14 months before your certificate is processed. However, replacements take about 5 to 8 months. This period may be shorter, but in some cases, the USCIS may request additional information or an interview, making the period longer.

Next Steps if You Can’t Get Your Certificate of Citizenship by Yourself

Sometimes getting a citizenship certificate can be stressful, taking days or weeks of your precious time as you search for relevant documents. If you lack the time or means to apply for a citizenship certificate yourself, it's always good to ask for help. You can use DoNotPay to apply for your certificate fast. 

How to Replace USCIS-Issued Citizenship Certificates Using DoNotPay

If you want to replace USCIS-issued naturalization or citizenship certificates but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in easy steps:

  1. Search "naturalization certificates" (or "USCIS") on DoNotPay. 
  2. Select the document you are applying for, and the reason why you need a replacement. 
  3. Tell us more about the original certificate, including the certificate number, when it was issued, and the details of the person it was issued to. Upload evidence files to support your claims. 
  4. Enter the contact information for any preparers and interpreters that helped with the application. Select whether you want to pay the application fee by check or credit card. 
  5. Indicate whether you would like to receive a digital copy of your forms or have us mail them to you. 

Why Use DoNotPay to Get Your Certificate of Citizenship

DoNotPay is a reliable product that helps many people complete time-bound applications fast and without hassle. It would be best if you use DoNotPay because it's:

FastYou don't have to spend hours or days going from office to office to get your certificate of citizenship.
EasyYou don't have to struggle with tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in the USCIS to get your certificate of citizenship.
SuccessfulYou can rest assured knowing we'll make a neat application for you, saving you a lot of time.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

If you want to solve other legal problems, don't leave DoNotPay yet. Our product is renowned for making the best legal cases for clients in many legal issues. 

Here are some blogs you might also find resourceful:

With DoNotPay, getting a certificate of citizenship becomes easier and faster, without the need to make revisions or go to interviews. Sign up today and start your citizenship certificate application process.

Want your issue solved now?