Unsure How to Find a Lost Cat? DoNotPay Can Help!
It isn't unusual for an outdoor cat to head out on adventures. However, if your outdoor cat doesn't return home or your indoor cat gets out, you need to learn how to find a lost cat pronto.
When your cat doesn't return home, you need to report your cat as missing to begin the search for your furry friend. You might not know how to report a lost cat, and you don't want to waste time figuring it out. DoNotPay can help you report your lost cat, so you can get them home faster.
What to Do if You Lose Your Cat
Even though cats are normally self-sufficient and independent, it can be stressful when your pet goes missing. There are some things that you can do to help find your lost cat, including:
- Upload your pet's photo to all your social media accounts and ask for help in your search
- Call animal control or the local shelter to let them know your pet is missing
- Start searching your neighborhood
- Assign someone to stay at your house while you search in case your pet comes home on their own
- Use the DoNotPay app to file a report
Can My Cat Find Its Way Home?
It’s known that some cats are able to find their way home over incredible distances. There are some theories as to how a cat finds their way home, such as using its sense of smell, but so far the evidence is inconclusive. It's important to note that many indoor-only cats will hide close to their home if they get out, so start your search in your own yard and look in all small spaces. Whether your cat can find its way back home will depend on a variety of factors, such as:
|Demeanor||Friendly and outgoing cats are much more likely to venture further off than skittish ones when they escape the confines of the home. Female cats are also more prone to hunker down in a safe spot, whereas males might wander off looking for food or new friends.|
|Location||Depending on where you live, the area surrounding your home may or may not be full of places to hide, trees to climb, or neighbors to encounter. Indoor cats may have a diminished homing ability when lost and can easily become disoriented by new environments.|
|Weather||Cold weather, precipitation, and wind will absolutely drive a lost indoor cat to find shelter in a dry, safe place.|
Report Your Lost Pet to Local Animal Control or Animal Shelter
If someone finds your lost cat and doesn't have a way to find the owner, they'll typically call the local animal control department or animal shelter. By reporting your lost pet to animal control and the shelter, they have your information if someone brings your kitty in and can call you right away.
How to Avoid Losing a Pet
When you own a pet, it's always best to follow some easy guidelines to avoid having a lost pet in the first place. Here's a look at a few suggestions:
- Have your vet insert a microchip into your pet
- Always stay with your pet when they're outside
- Keep your windows and doors shut at all times
- Use harnesses and collars that fit snugly without being too tight
How to Report a Lost Cat By Yourself
You should report your cat lost as soon as you realize they're gone. The best choice is to get in touch with your local animal shelter or animal control office and file a report. You might need to file a report in person, although some locations might allow you to handle it over the phone.
Solve the Challenges of Finding a Lost Cat With the Help of DoNotPay
When your cat goes missing, you want to begin your search as soon as possible. Filing a report for a lost cat is your first step, but you don't need to do it alone. DoNotPay can partner with you to help you file a report for your lost cat so you can get your kitty back home safely.
Find below how you can use DoNotPay to report lost and found pets:
- Search "lost and found pets" on DoNotPay, and select whether you're reporting a lost pet or a pet you've found.
- Enter the date and location you lost or found the pet and tell us more about them, including the breed, gender, whether they are wearing a collar, approximate size, and more.
- Upload evidence a photo of the pet, so they can be identified, and enter your current contact information where you can be reached with updates.
And that's it! DoNotPay will file the report on your behalf, and make sure your lost or found pet gets recorded in the government directory, and they know who to contact if they find a match!
DoNotPay Can Help With a Variety of Pet Concerns With the Click of a Button
As a pet parent, you always want to do your best for your furry friend. DoNotPay offers information on a variety of topics concerning lost and found animals, such as:
- What to do when you've lost a pet
- How to find a lost dog
- How to report a lost dog
- What to do when your cat runs away
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
When your wayward feline has returned home, you'll be ready to discover more ways that DoNotPay can help make life a breeze. Here are a few things to try:
- Get money from the airlines when your flight is delayed or canceled
- Search for missing money
- And others!
Discover how to find a lost cat with DoNotPay today!