How to File a Complaint Against an Employer for Non-Payment in a Snap
The workplace is home to a simple exchange. Employees work hard, and in return employers provide compensation. If employees don’t do their jobs, it’s simple—they get fired.
It gets more complicated when employers withhold pay. But it doesn’t have to be. DoNotPay will show you how to file a complaint against an employer for non-payment.
Sending a complaint to HR is nerve-racking. You risk creating an uneasy working environment and fracturing your relationship with your boss. But DoNotPay’s anonymous HR complaints template helps with discrimination and poorly-behaved managers without the hassle.
Can You Report an Employer Not Paying Wages Yourself?
A quick internet search reveals plenty of grievance letter templates. But even with that head start, filing a complaint can be time-consuming, ultimately ineffective, and potentially damaging.
- Companies have specific processes and channels employees have to go through to address HR. Also, in some cases, state labor laws may need to be referenced in the complaint. Researching these company policies and local laws takes time and causes stress.
- Most people filing a complaint are angry, especially so when money is involved. To write an effective complaint, you need to stick to the facts and be objective. It’s difficult to articulate one’s side persuasively if the tone is overly emotional.
If your complaint fails to adhere to company policy or if it lacks the proper documentation and evidence, you may not be able to recover unpaid wages. Think about the repercussions. Not only will you lose out on your money, but you may find yourself in an uncomfortable position at work if you attach your name to your complaint. Airing grievances at work tend to do more harm than good.
Fortunately, DoNotPay’s HR complaints template saves you time, is easy to use, and protects your identity. All you have to do is provide HR’s contact details, describe the issue you’re facing, and rest easy knowing DoNotPay will take care of everything else.
The Technical Aspects of Reporting an Employer for Not Paying
Being in the right isn’t enough. You need to prove it. Here, we will go over everything that needs to be in a successful complaint.
|Whom should you address||Before filing a complaint, make sure you follow company protocol. If available, refer to the company handbook to find out whom you should contact, whether an individual or the department, when voicing your complaint.|
|How to structure the complaint||In the body of your complaint, you should explain your grievance, provide evidence, and state your desired solution.|
|What evidence to provide||Provide checks, pay stubs, timesheets, coworker testimonies, and any other relevant evidence to make your complaint more convincing.|
|What happens if you get an unsatisfactory response||In this situation, you have two options. You can go over the head of the person you contacted and bring your complaint to someone higher up in the HR department or in the company’s leadership. The other option is to file a complaint with the Wage and Hour Division of the US Department of Labor.|
Legal Grounds for Reporting an Employer Not Paying Overtime
Employers usually withhold pay for two reasons:
- They fail to pay overtime, minimum wage, sick pay, severance, vacation time, etc., because they are either unaware of the relevant wage laws or are purposefully ignoring those laws.
- They are suffering cash flow issues. Whether temporary or for the long-term, employers may need to funnel funds to more pressing areas and away from employees to avoid bankruptcy.
Regardless of the reason, on the federal level, your right to receive unpaid wages is protected under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
How to Report an Employer Not Paying Wages With DoNotPay
If your wages have been withheld, you’ve suffered enough. You don’t have to file the complaint yourself. DoNotPay can take it from her. It’s as easy as this:
- Go to DoNotPay to access the Anonymous HR Complaint product
- Fill in the name of the employer and the HR department mailing address
- Describe the problems you’ve experienced and how you want them to be solved
- DoNotPay will mail the completely anonymous complaint for you
How Else Can DoNotPay Help?
DoNotPay is the world’s first robot lawyer. It started off fighting parking tickets, overturning over 160,000 of them in London and New York. Since its inception, DoNotPay has expanded its offerings. In addition to filing complaints about non-payments, it provides a range of services, including:
- Legal documents
- Contract templates
- Connect with an inmate
- Small claims court lawsuits
- Notarized documents
- Warranty Claims
- College fee waivers
- Subscriptions and services cancellation
- Postnuptial agreements
- Cash giveaways entry
- Chargebacks and refunds
- Amazon refunds without a return
- Confidentiality agreements
- Clinical trials
- Online fax
- Child travel consent forms
- Insurance claims