How to Contest a Parking Ticket From Your Phone
Parking citations are a common inconvenience for drivers. Motorists often don't even know why they got a parking citation. If you are issued a parking ticket that you feel is unfair, it is important to know the right steps to take to avoid making the situation worse for yourself.
You can use DoNotPay to contest an unfair parking citation easily. Read on to find out how.
What If I Don't Pay For My Ticket?
Everyone dreads getting a parking ticket, but somehow no one can escape getting at least once in their lifetime. Before you trash your parking ticket, you should think about the consequences that come with such ignorance. Here is what could happen to you if you ignore paying for your parking ticket:
|Your Fines May Go Up||You could get penalized for not making your payments on time. To avoid this, pay up as soon as you can.|
|You Could Have Your Car Towed||The authorities have your license plate, and if they run it through their system and notice you have unpaid parking tickets, they can tow your car.|
|You Could Lose Your Car||The authorities may auction your vehicle to pay themselves for the money owed.|
|You May Be Required to Show Up in Court||If you go for a very long time without paying for your ticket, you may have to appear in court, where the judge will order you to pay up.|
|The Collection Agencies May Take Up Your Case||Having debt collectors involved could negatively affect your credit score.|
|Your License Could Be Suspended||Driving around with a suspended license could have you arrested.|
Reasons to Contest a Parking Ticket
The following are some of the main reasons for appealing a parking ticket:
- The parking sign was missing, incorrect, or not clear.
- You were not driving the vehicle at the time the ticket was issued.
- The parking meter may have had malfunctions.
- Your car suddenly became disabled.
- You parked illegally to deal with a medical or a non-medical emergency.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Dispute a Parking Citation?
If you decide to appeal a parking ticket, you may be expected to make a court appearance at least twice. If you hire a lawyer, you will not have to be present in court. Here are other ways an attorney can help:
- They will offer you legal advice. One of the main disadvantages of representing yourself in court is your lack of experience and knowledge. An experienced traffic attorney will know the best strategies to use.
- Your attorney will handle negotiations for you.
Note that if the chances of beating your ticket are very slim, it may be unnecessary to hire an attorney. However, if you hold a commercial driver's license or have lots of unpaid tickets, it would be wise to have an attorney by your side.
Steps For Disputing a Parking Infraction
If you want to contest a parking ticket but have no idea where to start, here are some smart tips to guide you:
- Carefully read your parking ticket. In most cases, the key to winning your case is to focus on both major and minor errors in the ticket that can render it invalid.
- Have photographic evidence to prove that you did not commit a parking infraction.
- Know the statute you violated. If your ticket does not identify the statute you violated, you are already off the hook.
- Carefully read the statute to look for loopholes.
- If you want to appeal, follow the directions on your parking ticket.
- If you must appear in court, be punctual and dress well. Carry copies of everything you send by mail.
Contest Parking Tickets In Less Than 120 Seconds
DoNotPay has been successful in handling more than 200,000 cases, and we could do the same for you. According to DoNotPay's creator, Joshua Browder, more than 250,000 people in London and New York have used DoNotPay to contest parking tickets.
Here’s How to Get Started:
- Log in to DoNotPay and find the Parking Tickets product.
- Upload a photo of your parking ticket.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the parking ticket is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
It's really that simple! Look out for your traffic ticket issuer's response to discover whether you won.
DoNotPay Can Help You Fight and Beat Tickets in Any City
DoNotPay can help you fight and beat tickets no matter where you live. DoNotPay can help you with:
- Chicago Parking Tickets
- San Jose Parking Tickets
- Los Angeles Parking Tickets
- New Orleans Parking Tickets
- Rutgers Parking Tickets
- California Parking Tickets
- New York City Parking Tickets
- Seattle Parking Tickets
- SFMTA Parking Tickets
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay can help you with many other services, such as:
- Helping you get Free Trials
- Helping you negotiate Hotel Bills
- Helping you with Parking Tickets
- Helping you get Chargebacks and Refunds
Do not wait any longer. Sign up with DoNotPay today to get started.