How to Ask Your Doctor for an Emotional Support Animal
Emotional support animals provide a variety of mental health benefits for people who suffer from mental health conditions. If you're thinking about getting one, it's important to go through the proper channels to have one prescribed to you.
You may be wondering how to ask your doctor for an emotional support animal and what you need to do so they will prescribe one to you. DoNotPay can help by writing a letter to your mental health professional, asking them to write you an official ESA letter.
What Is an Emotional Support Animal?
An emotional support animal (also referred to as an ESA) can provide support to a person suffering from a variety of mental health conditions like anxiety, depression, ADHD, and PTSD.
People suffering from mental health conditions find companionship and comfort from an ESA, and many licensed health professionals believe they help to relieve symptoms that can be debilitating and painful.
How Emotional Support Animals Help People:
|Improves Your Schedule||Schedules and routines may be very important, yet, schedules may seem tedious. A pet requires care and a certain routine. You must feed them; you have to walk them, bathe them, play with them, etc. Setting your schedule to be based on their needs can also impact your other day-to-day tasks.|
|Improve Memory and Focus||Pets are very good at keeping person-centered. If you forget to feed them, they will remind you. If you feel lost in thought, they can give you a nudge to remind you that they are there.|
|Improve Sleep||If you are someone who suffers from hyperactivity, you may feel unable to rest well at night. After running, walking, playing, and focusing on your pet throughout the day, you may be able to rest more at night.|
|Relieves Stress||Pets provide unconditional love to their owners. They are unable to yell or do things that may stress you. This can give you a sense of confidence and reduce your risk of depression or anxiety.|
Although they are not recognized by the ADA, many doctors prescribe ESAs to patients who could benefit from their services. If you think an ESA is a good fit for your health condition, you'll need to ask your doctor for an emotional support animal. DoNotPay can help you write a letter to your doctor to make the process easier.
Why Do You Need an ESA Letter for Your Emotional Support Animal
Emotional support animals aren't service animals, so it's important to have proof that your ESA is, in fact, a medical necessity. The only way you can prove that your animal is an ESA (and not just a pet) is by obtaining an official ESA letter that's signed by a licensed mental health professional.
What Is an ESA Letter?
An ESA letter is a written document that's signed by your mental health professional. The letter explains that your pet is a medical necessity and that you've been prescribed the ESA for your medical needs. An ESA letter includes the following:
- Your mental health professional's license number
- Your mental health professional's license expiration date
- The date letter was written
- Your mental health professional's contact information
Who Can Write an ESA Letter?
If you're under the care of a mental health professional, he or she can write an ESA letter for you.
- Licensed Mental Health Counselors (LMHC)
- Licensed Social Workers (LCSW)
- Physician's Assistants
- Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC)
- Licensed Marriage, and Family Therapists (LMFT)
- Registered Nurses (RN)
If you need to ask your doctor about getting an emotional support animal, DoNotPay can help.
How to Ask Your Doctor for an Emotional Support Animal on Your Own
If you think you need an ESA, you can ask your doctor to write you an ESA letter.
Here's how to ask your doctor for an emotional support animal on your own:
- Make an appointment with your mental health professional.
- Bring a list of symptoms that you've experienced, and discuss them with your doctor.
- Ask your doctor if an ESA is right for you.
- Ask your doctor to write an ESA letter for your pet.
Unfortunately, medical professionals are stretched thin, and it can be weeks or months before an appointment slot is available. Once you're in the exam room, it can be scary and intimidating to ask your doctor for an ESA, and oftentimes, patients have trouble advocating for themselves.
If you're worried about asking your doctor for an ESA letter, DoNotPay can help. We'll generate a letter for you, so you can present it to your doctor at your appointment. That way, you can go into your appointment without having to feel stressed about pleading with your case.
DoNotPay Can Help You Write a Request Letter to Your Doctor for an ESA
DoNotPay's Service and Emotional Support Animals product was designed to help advocate for your mental health needs. With this product, DoNotPay can help you write a letter to your doctor to request an ESA letter.
Here's how it works:
- Search "service animal" on DoNotPay.
- Select the type of issue you need help with, including contacting your landlord about your ESA/service animal, asking your airline about ESA options, or requesting ESA/service accommodations at other venues.
- Answer a series of questions about your current situation and the details of your ESA/service animal, so we can generate the best results for you.
That's all you need to do. Depending on your specific needs, DoNotPay will write a letter to contact your landlord, your doctor, or your airlines so your ESA will be accepted.
Trust DoNotPay to Help You Get an Emotional Support Animal
You can rest assured that DoNotPay will work:
- Quickly: We'll write a letter on your behalf quickly, and we'll send it straight to your mental health provider.
- Efficiently: Just give us some basic information, and we'll take care of the rest.
- Successfully: We'll generate a letter that includes everything needed to request that your mental health provider write an ESA letter for you.
DoNotPay’s Pet Products
DoNotPay's Service and Emotional Support Animals product can generate letters for a variety of ESA needs. We'll write request letters to accommodate your ESA on an airline, and we can write ESA demand letters to your landlord.
Additionally, DoNotPay provides several additional pet products. We can do things like:
- Apply for Pet Licenses
- Report Animal Abuse
- Generate Pet Custody Agreements
- Find Lost Pets
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay can help with all kinds of problems. Here are a few of the many things we can do for you:
- Obtain a Pet License
- Deal with Animal Control
- Obtain Compensation for a Cancelled Flight
- Cancel Services on Your Behalf
- Fight Someone in Small Claims Court
- Get Your Hotel Room Upgraded
We care about your mental health. Trust DoNotPay to write an ESA request letter on your behalf!