How Much Does It Cost To Trademark a Band Name? Discover With DoNotPay
If you have thought of a band name that you love and want to pursue, it may be time to register it as a trademark to prevent others from using it. The main question arises—How much does it cost to trademark a band name? DoNotPay has all the info you need.
This guide will explain everything you should know about how to register your band name as a trademark and what costs are associated with it. You can also choose the easier option—use DoNotPay to apply for trademark registration in no time!
A trademark is a mark or word that you can link with your business and the goods and services you offer. It helps people identify and associate with your business while also giving a competitive advantage over other business owners.
You can trademark almost anything, provided it has not been trademarked before, including the following:
|Logos||Phrases||Characters||Book series titles||Podcast names|
|Slogans||Pictures||Ideas||Domain names||Clothing brands|
|Usernames||Artist names||Artwork||Names||Logo designs|
Band names can be registered as trademarks, as long as they are:
- Not confusingly similar to other band names
Many people believe that band names can only be copyrighted. Although you can copyright your band’s logo, you cannot copyright the band name.
You can either trademark the name, register it as a service mark, or both. While trademarks identify goods, such as band merchandise, record albums, etc., service marks are needed for offered services, including shows and performances.
You will need to consider the following costs when filing a trademark:
- Filing basis—You can either choose to file a trademark under:
- USPTO filing options—You can apply for a trademark in two ways:
- Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) Plus (specifying the class(es))
- Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) Standard (not specifying the class(es))
- The number of classes of goods and services—Every trademark is classified under a specific trademark class. You can also choose multiple classes to register the same trademark, but each class will have a separate fee. Artists and musicians typically use the following trademark classes to register their band names:
- Lawyer fees—In case you consult a lawyer for trademark registration, you have to pay their fees
Here is a breakdown of other expenses that you will need to incur after your band name is trademarked:
|Declaration of Use||Confirms that you are using the trademark for your business||$225 per trademark class|
|Declaration of Incontestability||Grants you incontestable rights to use the trademark||$220 per trademark class|
|Renewal application form||Renews your trademark after its expiration||$525 per class if paid on time|
Although you can use the common law trademark for your band name, your trademarked name will not be protected by trademark law across the U.S., and you risk other bands using it for their profit. A federally-registered trademark will give you the advantage of:
- Suing other people if they use your trademark without your consent
- Prohibiting other musicians from using similar names for their bands
- Protecting your trademark from infringement
- Increasing the intrinsic value of your business
Apply for a registered trademark for your band’s name by following the instructions listed below:
- Think of a creative and unique name for your band
- Conduct a trademark search on the USPTO database to ensure that your band name is original and is not similar to other bands
- Decide which band member will own the trademark
- Choose the trademark class
- Fill out the trademark application form through the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) or DoNotPay
- Pay the application processing fee
- Review the form to ensure that there are no errors or inconsistencies
- Submit the form
The USPTO will email you a serial number that you can use to track your application in the Trademark Status and Document Retrieval (TSDR) system. If everything goes smoothly, your band name will be registered within six to eight months.
Many small business owners and individuals hire lawyers to apply for trademark registration to avoid inconveniences and drawn-out tasks. Opt for a cheaper alternative and use DoNotPay to submit your trademark registration to the USPTO!
Our app will do the following:
- Keep you up to date with the trademark requirements to prevent rejection
- Conduct a USPTO trademark search for you
- Assist you in filling out the application form
- Send the form to the USPTO
- Give you a tracking number to check your application status
Here is what you need to do after signing up for our app:
- Type Trademark Registration in the search bar
- Provide information about your band and intended trademark
- Pay the USPTO application fee
Navigating numerous business procedures can be overwhelming, especially if you don’t have much experience. DoNotPay strives to make the situation easier for business owners, which is why we offer a number of simple-to-use products that can help you take care of various processes, including DMCA agent and Employer Identification Number registration, Privacy Shield program self-certification, and trademark registration and protection.
If you are not sure how to manage the filing of 83(b) election forms, DoNotPay has a solution that will automate the entire process and help you save time. Our app can even generate a convincing small business loan request letter for you. Don’t feel like walking or driving to the post office to send the letter? Use DoNotPay to fax or mail any document in a matter of clicks!
If you need help handling unpleasant situations with your clients, you can rely on DoNotPay. We have created various products to assist you in:
- Making sure your business is free of negative, illegitimate online reviews—DoNotPay will analyze the review in question, estimate the best reason for reporting it, and report the review until it is deleted
- Dealing with clients who breach the contract and refuse to pay—We will generate and send a demand letter requesting what’s rightfully yours
- Fighting unjustified chargebacks—Our app will create a personalized chargeback rebuttal document to help you keep your revenue
Resolve various business issues without wasting time or money—DoNotPay has got your back!