How Many Points Is a 10 MPH Over Speeding Ticket?
Some of the questions you may have after receiving your speeding ticket or when you are learning how to drive will certainly revolve around the points system. At that point, you may also need help contesting your speeding ticket, and that is where DoNotPay comes in handy.
Insight into The Point System and How It Works
Once you are convicted of traffic-related wrongdoing, the law assigns points to your driver record. The intention behind using the point system is to identify and take action against high-risk drivers. Understand that specific traffic violation convictions can cause several points to go into one's record.
If you accrue too many points within 18 months, that may result in penalties. The penalty for serious violations like reckless driving and operating while intoxicated ranges from four to six points.
On the other hand, you will accrue between one to three points for less serious violations like speeding ten mph over the limit or running a red light. Note that these points remain in your record for two years after conviction.
Details About Common Traffic Violations and 10 Over Speeding Ticket Point Value
Indeed, driving demands the full attention of every motorist. In that case, distracted driving refers to any activity that withdraws your attention from the road, even if it is for a second. Below are some of the activities that are considered distracted driving.
- Loud music.
- Texting or using a cell phone while driving.
- Selecting a playlist or song from your phone, changing the radio station, or anything that takes your eyes off the road and your hands off the wheel.
- Eating and drinking while driving.
- Reading navigation systems when driving.
- Doing makeup or grooming while driving.
Additionally, some states consider talking to other passengers as distracted driving. That implies that distracted driving is an umbrella term housing several activities. Interestingly, a distracted driving ticket for texting and driving may not land you any points.
However, remember that distracted driving can be considered reckless in some situations. The violation attracts severe consequences beyond a fine of a few hundred dollars if it is considered reckless.
Undoubtedly, the most clearly tiered violations are speeding tickets. The points assigned, in this case, will depend on how fast you are driving above the speed limit. Driving 1 to 10 mph over will cause you to accrue between one to two-point violations.
If your speed is 11-15 mph over, you will accrue three points, while 16 or more mph over the speed limit gets you four points. Of course, the numbers will vary by state/county, but below is a breakdown of the fines to expect for exceeding the speed limit.
Driving too fast for conditions like heavy rains attracts a specific fine.
|Speeding Limit Infractions||Fines|
|1 - 5 Mph Over The Speed Limit.||$115 - $145|
|6 - 10 Mph Over The Speed Limit.||$125 - $145|
|11 - 15 Mph Over The Speed Limit.||$135 - $155|
|16 Mph Over And Beyond. The Court Can Also Decide The Fine You Should Pay For This Violation.||$170|
First, understands that reckless driving convictions attract the most severe consequences. Driving in a way that endangers and neglects the safety of property or people is what reckless driving is all about.
A conviction for such a violation may attract a fine of up to $500, a sentence of up to 93 days in jail, or both. Also, you could be fined between $1,000 and $5,000, serve up to five years in jail, or both. What happens if your reckless driving results in a serious injury.
Furthermore, reckless drivers are not eligible for a restricted license, and convictions for this violation carry a hard license suspension. You will be off the road for at least 90 days when that happens.
Disputing A Speeding Ticket Using DoNotPay
Signing up with DoNotPay allows you to contest your speeding ticket hassle-free by following the steps below.
- Log-in to DoNotPay and find the Speeding Ticket product.
- Upload a photo of your speeding ticket.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
DoNotPay can also answer any other speeding ticket inquiries you may have, such as:
- How to get a judge to dismiss a speeding ticket?
- What happens when you get a speeding ticket?
- How to get out of a speeding ticket?
- How much does a Trafic Ticket Speeding in a Work Zone cost?
- How much will a Speeding Ticket raise my Insurance?
What Else Can DoNotPay Help You Accomplish?
Aside from answering how many points a 10 over speeding tickets is, DoNotPay can also assist you with a lot more services such as:
- It allows you to file a complaint against any organization.
- Helps you appeal parking tickets in any city.
- Allows you to dispute seatbelt tickets.
- It takes care of insurance claims.
- Addresses airline flight compensation hacks.
Accruing multiple speeding tickets over a short period will certainly taint your driving record. So, if you want to dispute a speeding ticket for one reason or another, DoNotPay can help with that once you sign up for the service.