Reach an Inmate at Houtzdale State Correctional Institution
The Houtzdale State Correctional Institution, located in Houtzdale, Pennsylvania, is a medium-security prison currently holding 2298 prisoners. The facility is at nearly 97 percent capacity. The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections emphasizes improving relationships between inmates and their families through many initiatives offered by the PDOC. With this in mind, it is essential to maintain both visitation and written communications between inmates, family, and friends.
The Houtzdale State Correctional Institution Contact and Location Information
The 277-acre Pennsylvania state prison for men was built to ease prison overcrowding and was officially dedicated in 1997.
|Physical Address||Houtzdale State Correctional Institution
209 Institution Drive
Houtzdale, PA 16698
|Phone Number||(814) 378-1000|
Basic Houtzdale State Correctional Institution Stats
- The latest capacity report is dated November 2021. Capacity reports are monthly compilations of the number of inmates, available beds, and percentage of capacity used. Inmates are housed in dormitory-style rooms and cells, depending on their incarceration.
- Number of employees: 622
- There are 35 buildings on the property.
- There are 65 acres within the prison perimeter and 212 acres outside the perimeter.
How to Contact Inmates at the Houtzdale State Correctional Institution
Inmates receive general correspondence through a third-party mail vendor located in St. Petersburg, Florida. Note that the inmate mailing address differs from the facility mailing address in the table:
Smart Communications/PA DOC
Inmate Name/Inmate Number
PO Box 33028
St Petersburg, Florida 33733
General correspondence does not include anything of a legal or privileged nature. Examples include letters, greeting cards, and pictures drawn by children.
Your complete return address must be present on incoming inmate correspondence, meaning your first and last name. General post must also include the correct, full inmate name and inmate number.
Do not send any bound material or material that is open like a book as Smart Communications cannot process them.
Here's the incoming mail procedure:
- All inmate mail will be opened and scanned into an electronic document (e-doc) after it arrives at the Smart Communications facility.
- The e-doc then goes to the prison facility mailroom for printing on 8.5 x 11 paper (recommended by the Department of Corrections.)
- The printed mail is then delivered to the inmate by the prison facility mailroom.
If you desire to track your general correspondence to an inmate, please use the Security Processing Center tracking link.
If you need to mail Houtzdale State Correctional Institution, its legal mailing address is:
P.O. Box 1000
209 Institution Drive
Houtzdale, PA 16698-1000
Inmate Visitation Guidelines
Both in-person and video visits must be scheduled online at least three days before the intended stay, or the visit cannot be scheduled. You can schedule a visit no more than 60 days in advance. All general population inmates can receive six video visits and four contact visits per month. Each inmate can receive one weekend, 1-hour, in-person visit. This is subject to change if operational procedures mandate either a permanent or a temporary change.
Here is the procedure:
- Schedule an in-person or video visit online. This is through the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections Inmate Visitation Scheduler. You must register before logging in. You cannot log in as a guest.
- Log in. Note available timeslots based on an inmate's specific housing assignment.
- Inmates are allowed up to four visitors at a time.
- Every visitor must clear all security procedures and comply with visiting room rules.
- Check your email before venturing out on the day of your visit in case of inmate cancellation.
Currently, only vaccinated individuals can visit inmates in person. All others are instructed to use video visitation until Covid restrictions are lifted.
How to Send Money to an Inmate at the Houtzdale State Correctional Institution
The only way for friends and family to send money to an HSCI inmate is electronically through JPay, online, or the lobby kiosks located at Houtzdale. This service allows quick access to deposited funds. All inmates receive the total amount deposited. Any fees are the responsibility of the depositor, not the inmate.
Don't send funds to anyone other than the intended inmate.
DoNotPay Inmate Connection
It can be tough to get in touch with your loved one at the Houtzdale State Correctional Institution. Money can take time to get credited into inmate accounts. Inmates may not be available due to disciplinary action, or perhaps they are ill. DoNotPay can help navigate such challenges:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide their details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name. We'll set one up for you to easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo. Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait ten days for it to arrive for your loved one.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay can make your life more manageable. Here are just a few of its offerings:
- Issues with credit cards
- Inmate pen pals
- Canceling memberships
- Getting your money back for flight cancelations
- Do I have unclaimed money?
- Stalking protection