How to Apply for Section 8 at Hickory Housing Authority
With housing prices rising across the United States, more and more families are facing housing instability. If you live in Hickory, North Carolina, and need housing assistance, the first step is to contact the Hickory Housing Authority.
Section 8 is a program developed by The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development(HUD) to assist low-income families in finding safe housing in the private sector. The Federal Government funds the program, but families must apply through their local housing authorities. The Section 8 application process can be confusing and lengthy, but luckily DoNotPay is here to get you the help you need simply and quickly.
How to Qualify for Hickory Section 8
Before applying for Section 8, it is crucial to determine if you are an ideal candidate. To obtain a Section 8 voucher, your family must meet specific qualifications. It is also important to note that although the HUD refers to applicants as families, a family can consist of a couple or a single individual.
To qualify for Section 8, the applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- The combined household must make less than 50% of the area's median income.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- To qualify, the applicant must be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or another qualifying immigrant status.
- The other accepted immigrant statuses include victims of human trafficking, refugees, granted amnesties, granted asylum, conditional entrants, registry immigrants, parolees, or residents of Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Palau, or Guam.
Section 8 Disqualifiers
Even if your family meets the basic qualifications for Section 8, the following circumstances will result in an application being denied:
- The application contains false information
- Sex offenders
- Other criminal charges may disqualify you
- Anyone owing money to a housing authority for years
- Anyone evicted from HUD housing in the last five years
Several factors determine whether or not you are eligible for Section 8 housing:
|Income Eligibility||You are making at or below the posted poverty line in your state. You are considered at the lowest income level if your family brings in only 30 percent or less of the average income in your area. You are still considered very low income if you only bring in 50 percent of that income and low income for 80 percent.|
|Age Eligibility||If you are above a certain age and still not bringing in enough income, you may qualify for Section 8 housing. Depending on a fixed income, those who are 65 and older could find themselves meeting these requirements.|
|Disability Eligibility||If you have been deemed disabled and unable to work, you are eligible for assistance, even as the head of household.|
How to Apply for Hickory Section 8
Once you determine your Section 8 eligibility, you must follow several steps, which almost always involve a waiting list. Contact the housing authority for other alternatives if you need immediate housing assistance. Here are the steps to apply for Section 8 in Hickory, NC:
- The Hickory Section 8 waiting list is only open at certain times. To find out when the waiting list is available, you can contact the City of Hickory Housing Authority or sign up for email alerts at Affordable Housing Online.
- The City of Hickory Housing Authority requires those seeking Section 8 to apply in person at 841 S Center St Hickory, NC 28602 when the waiting list is open.
- Hickory gives Section 8 weighted preference, prioritizing specific reasons for the application. For example, elderly and disabled applicants receive two points, while domestic violence victims receive one.
- Once you are on the waiting list, you can check your position on the list and status at HAB Housing Software Solutions.
- You will be contacted to complete a final application when your name approaches the top of the waiting list, and an in-person interview will be conducted.
- If everything is approved, you will find an approved place to live, and a voucher will be issued.
How to Apply for Hickory Section 8 Using DoNotPay
If you live in Hickory, NC, and the Section 8 application process is overwhelming, you are not alone. Housing authorities' requirements and protocols are time-consuming and confusing. Luckily, DoNotPay can help you apply for Hickory Section 8 in two simple steps.
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
That is all you have to do. DoNotPay will help you get the aid you need.
Why Use DoNotPay for Hickory Section 8
Individuals can navigate housing program applications on their own, but DoNotPay gives you three reasons to use us instead.
- Speed: Rather than spend the time researching and searching for information on the application process for Section 8 housing, DoNotPay does the work for you.
- Easy: Housing is an integral part of life. If you are facing housing instability, you probably feel overwhelmed. DoNotPay makes applying for assistance as simple as possible.
- Successful: The protocol, process, and forms involved in Section 8 are long, confusing, and frustrating. DoNotPay ensures you have all the information submitted to get the needed aid.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is here to help make your life easier. We want to save you time, money, and headache, and the services we offer are extensive. Here are just a few of the fantastic ways DoNotPay can save you time and money:
- Save Time at The DMV With an Appointment
- Discover and Apply for Scholarships
- Find Forgotten and Missing Money
To uncover more ways DoNotPay can make your life easier, visit DoNotPay today.