How to Get Henrico County Building Permits
Getting a building permit in Henrico County can be complicated, but it shouldn't be. It should be easy to build on your property, but it can be confusing to determine how to get a building permit with all the paperwork.
And it's not just Henrico County; Florida can be just as bad; from Palm Beach to Sarasota getting a building permit can be a nightmare. It's even worse in big cities like Los Angeles and Chicago when it really shouldn't be so complicated at all.
This guide will talk about when you need a , how to get a building permit yourself, and why you should rely on DoNotPay to get a permit in no time.
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Henrico County?
A building permit is necessary for the following reasons:
- A building or structure
- Installations or alterations involving the removal of any wall, partition, or portion thereof
- Any structural component
- Repair or replacement of any required component of a fire or smoke-rated assembly.
- Alteration of any required means of egress system
- Tool and storage sheds 256 square feet or larger
- Fences required for a swimming pool
- Concrete or masonry walls exceeding 6 feet
- Retaining walls supporting 3 feet of unbalanced fill
- Swimming pools with a surface area of greater than 150 square feet exceed 5,000 gallons and are 24 or more inches deep
- Flagpoles more than 30 feet in height
How to Get a Building Permit in Henrico County
- Register for and log in to your customer account on the Build Henrico website.
- Select "Permits" on the Build Henrico home page.
- Select "Building Permit".
- Select "Residential" from the dropdown menu next to "Select the option that best describes the application" and complete your permit submittal by filling out the online application.
- Go to Residential Building Permit requirements to review the document submission standards for constructing one and two-family dwellings. Upload the following applicable documents to be included with your permit application:
- Site Plans
- Construction Plans (Floor Plans, Foundation Plans, Exterior Elevations, Building and Wall Sections, Insulation Details, Fire-Resistant Rated Assemblies, etc.)
- Structural Framing and Engineered Designs (Joists, Rafters, Trusses, Beams, Braced Walls, Retaining Walls, Energy Calculations, etc.)
- Miscellaneous Information (Manufacturer's Specifications and Installation Instructions, 3rd Party Product Evaluation Reports, etc.)
- Owner's Affidavit
- DPW Forms (Drainage Calculations, Lot Grading Certification, Agreement instead of Sediment Control Plan, Agreement instead of Stormwater Management Plan, Sediment Basin/Trap Waiver Letter, Shared Maintenance Agreement, Single Family Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan, Storm Sewer Location Certification)
There are problems with all these solutions. First, there are so many scenarios in the permit process it can be challenging to figure out precisely what you need to do to get a permit.
Further, to pay the fees for your permit, you have to go to the offices in person. And you may not have time to go to the office in person, especially since they're only open Mondays through Fridays.
Finally, once you figure out how to apply, there are all the fees, and the building permit request form is long and confusing. DoNotPay makes it easy to get a permit for what you are building and fills the application out for you with just a bit of information.
What Fees Are Associated With Getting a Permit?
|Building Permit Fees||New One- and Two-Family Dwellings||$680|
|Existing One and Two-Family Dwellings||$100 + $6.00/$1,000 of value over $5,000; fee shall not exceed $680
|Commercial Buildings||$100 + $7.00/$1,000 of value over $5,000
|Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Fees (includes Elevators and Fire Protection)||New One and Two-Family Dwellings||$100|
|Existing One and Two-Family Dwellings||$100 + $6.00/$1,000 of value over $5,000
|Commercial Buildings||$100 + $7.00/$1,000 of value over $5,000
|Current State Levy||Section 107.2 of the 2006 Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) requires that the state levy on all permits increase to 2% beginning July 2, 2009. The total fee owed is the permit fee plus the State levy (permit fee times .02).|
|Other Fees||Inspection Surcharge Fee||$75
(Applied for each inspection of a new one- or two-family dwelling that exceeds the average number of inspections. For example, the average is 33 for homes without a fire suppression system and 41 for homes with a fire suppression system. Add two inspections for an elevator.)
|Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (Issuance and Renewals)||$25|
|Plan Amendments and Re-Reviews||$25
(Applied for each review after the Department of Building Construction and Inspections has reviewed the plan twice because of plan deficiencies or plan amendments)
How to Get a Building Permit in Henrico County With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay takes the pain out of applying for a building permit. We'll find the exact rules of the area of Henrico County you're in, fill out the application form, and get you the lowest possible processing fee.
How to apply for a Building Permit Fast in Henrico County with DoNotPay:
If you want to apply for a building permit fast in Henrico County but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own cancellation letter in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and the timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get a Building Permit in Henrico County
Using DoNotPay takes all the hassle out of getting your building permit. It’s fast, easy, and reliable, helping you get stuff done with the click of a button.
DoNotPay doesn't just help you get your building permit; it can help with other things, including:
- DoNotPay can help recover Spotify account passwords the same way with Amazon, eBay, or Steam.
- Or it can help you get your birth certificate in Kentucky the same way it could for California.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
- Write standard legal documents
- Notarize any document
- Reduce your property taxes
- File insurance claims
Why struggle to get a building permit? Use DoNotPay today!