Organizations That Help With Electric Bills In MD
Thousands of Maryland residents spend about 18% of their monthly income on energy bills. Spending about a fifth of your monthly income on energy means you may not have enough to meet other needs. You would be relieved to learn that you can get help with electric bills in MD and reduce the amount of your income spent on energy. But where do you start and how do you reduce your energy bills?
If you require help paying electric bill in MD, you can apply for a grant to pay your bills, or assistance from one of the government assistance programs. The programs provide electric bill assistance Maryland for residences struggling with meeting their energy utility needs. You can apply for the program on your own, or use an automated platform like DoNotPay to help you navigate through the lengthy application process.
DoNotPay also helps you apply for assistance in paying internet bills, light bill, power bill, gas bill, cell phone bills. You can also use the DoNotPay automated platform to learn how you can get help with BGE bills in Anne Arundel County. Do not suffer in silence, apply for assistance with utility bills in Maryland through DoNotPay.
Understanding Your Electricity Bill
Although the cost of electricity may be high, errors in your electricity bill could drive the cost even higher. Before you apply for electric bill assistance in Maryland, it is good to understand your electricity bill. Understanding your electricity bills not only helps you to control your budget, but also reduces the cost by eliminating wrong charges. However, you may not understand some terms used on the bill.
Here is what you need to know about your electricity bill.
- Electricity Cost - This is the amount of electric energy consumed in your house. It is listed in kilowatt-hours or kWh. You can control this component of the bill by reducing the amount of kWh used.
- Capacity Cost -Capacity cost usually appears on commercial electric bills and represents the cost of ensuring there is enough power to support your appliances.
- Utility Delivery Charge - The delivery charge represents your contribution towards maintenance of the lines. You have little control over this charge.
- Taxes & Fees - Your bill also comes with tax charges and other fees such as a late payment penalty.
Other than keeping your electricity consumption low, you can also control the cost of your electricity by:
- Balancing the kilowatts listed on the bill with the actual reading on your meter
- Ensuring what you have paid for is not carried forward as previous month's balance
- Checking whether there are unfair charges on the bill
If your bill is still too high for you to pay, you can request for assistance with the electric bill in MD.
Organizations That Offer Electric Bill Assistance in MD
There are two government organizations that offer help with utility bills in Maryland:
|Organization||Phone Number||How to apply|
|Maryland Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP)||1-855-583-8976||Apply online|
|Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)||1-800-332-6347||Apply online
Visit a local office
What Happens If You Don't Pay Your Electric Bill in MD
If you do not pay your electricity bill, you will suffer consequences similar to those of not paying your medical bills, or gas bills. Your service provider may:
- Send you a shut-off notice
- Terminate your electric supply
However, shut-offs during extreme seasons such as winter are prohibited. Your electricity supply should not be terminated during extremely hot or cold seasons.
Ask for an Extension Date for Your Electricity Bill
If you have not found help with utility bills in MD, and your service provider is sending you shut-off notices, you can apply for an extension of the payment date or request a payment plan. You can write to your service provider or use the automated DoNotPay platform to request an extension.
Ask for a Waiver on Late Fees for Electricity Bills
If your bill comes with late payment fees, you can apply for a waiver, either by yourself or through DoNotPay. If you choose to apply by yourself, you can either:
- Write to your service provider
- Call your service provider
- Or use the online chat option if it is available
How to Apply for Help With Electric Bill in MD by Yourself
Currently, most organizations are not accepting in-person requests. However, you can apply for assistance through their official sites or make a call. Here are the steps involved in applying for assistance:
- Check Whether You Qualify. Open the official site of the organization that offers help with electricity bills to check whether you qualify for assistance.
- Apply for Assistance. If you qualify, go to the How to Apply section of the website and apply for assistance. Follow the prompts and provide all the required documentation to increase your chances of getting help. You will receive assistance within 30 to 45 days.
How to Apply for Electricity Bill Assistance With DoNotPay
The application process can be long and time-consuming. Besides, simple mistakes can ruin the entire application and deny you assistance. To save time and increase the chances of success, you can use the DoNotPay platform. Here is how it works:
- Go to the Negotiate Bills product on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want us to call and negotiate your bill for you or send a bill negotiation letter on your behalf.
- Provide the details that will help us negotiate your bill including the company name and how much your current plan costs.
- Enter your contact information, including email, address, and phone number.
Leave all the work to DoNotPay! We'll fight for a lower bill for you.
Why Use DoNotPay to Request Assistance for Your Electricity Bill
Whenever you use DoNotPay to request assistance with your electricity bill in MD, you can be sure it is:
- Fast—Just a few clicks and help is on the way.
- Easy—You don’t have to fill up so many forms or make a dozen calls.
- Successful—DoNotPay has helped countless people and can effectively help you, too!