Get Your Harris County Birth Certificate Fast
If you've been wondering how to apply for your Harris County birth certificate, you're not alone. This document is the key to getting many essential things done, and sadly, many people have lost theirs or have never had it at all.
Your birth certificate is easily one of the most important documents you can have in your possession. Parents need this document to enroll their youngsters in school, and couples need their birth certificates to obtain marriage licenses. If you dream of traveling abroad, you'll need your birth certificate to get your passport.
Unfortunately, obtaining copies of vital records isn't always easy. It can be especially challenging if you need a birth certificate for someone other than yourself or your child. In the efforts to protect the privacy of individuals and to prevent various forms of identity theft, the Harris County Clerk's Office has strict limitations on who can request these documents and why.
Luckily, if you don't have the time or energy to deal with complex bureaucratic processes or if you've been unable to obtain your birth records via the normal channels, DoNotPay can help.
DoNotPay makes requesting birth certificates in Harris County a swift and seamless process. Best of all, you can also use the Notary product from DoNotPay to have your new birth certificate notarized.
The Difference Between an Authorized and Informational Birth Certificate Copy
When requesting a copy of your birth certificate or for a copy of the birth certificate of anyone else, you can choose to apply for an authorized copy or an informational copy. Authorized copies are considered an official form of government-issued ID. Authorized copies of birth certificates can be used to obtain other forms of government-issued ID. Informational copies cannot.
Informational copies are easier to obtain, but they only hold informational value. You cannot enroll in school, apply for a marriage certificate, or apply for a passport with an informational birth certificate.
An authorized, certified copy of your Harris County birth certificate will bear the Harris County Clerk's Office official seal. An informational company will have a bold message printed on it that reads: "INFORMATIONAL, NOT VALID TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY".
What's the Difference Between a Short-Form and Long-Form Birth Certificate?
In addition to authorized and informational birth certificate copies, there are also long-form and short-form birth certificates to choose from. In Harris County, you can request copies of short-form birth certificates for anyone born in the state of Texas, so long as you're eligible to do so. A long-form birth certificate is an actual certificate that's on file at the hospital where an individual was born. Short-form birth certificates are simply notarized copies of these documents. They state the related long-form birth certificates do exist and that they are still on file.
Who's Eligible to Request a Birth Certificate Copy in Harris County, Texas?
In Harris County, Texas, birth certificates and death certificates can only be requested by a person's immediate family members. If you are not requesting your own vital record, you must be the:
- Grandparent of the individual named on the certificate
- Parent of the individual named on the certificate
- Child of the individual named on the certificate
- Spouse of the individual named on the certificate
Special processes exist for members of law enforcement and government agencies that need copies of birth certificates for official business. When adequate documentation is provided, those who've been given medical power of attorney can request birth certificates on behalf of others as well.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Birth Certificate in Harris County, TX?
It costs $23 for a certified, authorized copy of a birth certificate in Harris County. If you choose to request a birth certificate by mail, this payment must be made by cashier's check or money order. Cash and personal checks that are sent by mail will not be accepted.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Harris County Birth Certificate?
The processing time for birth certificates in Harris County is one to 14 business days. Once processed, it can take an additional five to 10 days for requested records to arrive by mail. If you choose to request your birth certificate online, you can pay additional money to have your birth certificate shipped overnight by UPS.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Birth Certificate in Harris County?
To request a birth certificate in Harris County, TX, you will need to have a completed Application for Certified Copy of Texas Birth or Death Record. You will also need to have a completed Proof of Identification form. This second form must be both signed and notarized. You must additionally include a clear copy of one of the following:
- State-issued driver's license
- State-issued ID
How to Get Your Harris County Birth Certificate on Your Own
Whether applying in-person, by mail or online, you will need to:
- Visit https://www.cclerk.hctx.net/PersonalRecords.aspx#Vital
- Download and complete the Application for Certified Copy of Texas Birth Record form
- Download and complete the Proof of Identification form
- Make sure that your Proof of Identification form is signed and notarized
Your completed documents, and a copy of your government-issued ID can be sent along with your payment to the Harris County Clerk's Office by mail. To apply online, visit https://vitalchek.com/ and submit your application documents there.
Contact Information for the Harris County Clerk's Office
If you have questions about where to get your birth certificate or want to find out if it's possible to get a fast birth certificate, you can contact the Harris County Clerk's Office.
|General Address||Harris County Clerk's Office
201 Caroline Street, 3rd Floor
Houston, TX 77002
Get Your Birth Certificate Fast With the Help of DoNotPay
Is the online process for requesting a Harris County birth certificate too challenging? Does the system fail to load when you attempt to complete or submit your application? Rather than dealing with frustrating and time-consuming issues like these, let DoNotPay request your birth certificate or a birth certificate for your newborn.
How to get a copy of a birth certificate in Harris County, Texas, using DoNotPay:
If you want to order/get a birth certificate copy in Harris County, Texas but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 8 easy steps:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Request Your Harris County Birth Certificate?
Using DoNotPay is always an easy and hassle-free way to get things done. With DoNotPay, you can quickly meet all of the Harris County requirements for requesting a birth certificate.
You can also use the app to learn more about birth records. Try these other articles:
- How to find a birth certificate for a loved one
- How to replace a lost birth certificate
- How to apply for a birth certificate as a someone with medical power of attorney
- How to get your birth certificate online
- Where to get a birth certificate in-person
Sign up today to save time and money!