Gambling Addiction Intervention: How To Put A Stop To Destructive Behavior
Addictive behaviors come in all forms and sizes, but some are more easily recognized than others. While there is plenty of public attention to destructive addictions to alcohol and hard drugs, there is not as much attention paid to an addiction to gambling. Gambling addiction intervention may be necessary for those suffering from this often underreported and "silent" addiction.
Part of the reason why people with a gambling addiction may have more challenges than those with other types of addictive behaviors comes down to the fact that gambling doesn't necessarily leave behind signs of its destruction to other people. It is easy to smell the alcohol on an addict's breath, but it is not so easy to see the destructive results of a gambling addiction if you don't know what to look for. This is why it is so critical to get relevant and helpful information out to those who need it to help them help themselves out of this addiction. One resource worth using in this fight is DoNotPay (more on this below).
Getting Yourself Voluntarily Banned From A Gambling Website
Access to one's addiction is often what fuels a continued spiral of destruction in that addiction. Therefore, those who recognize destructive behaviors in themselves must do what they can to get themselves voluntarily banned from gambling websites as fast as possible. They need to cut themselves off of their favorite gambling websites before they dig a deeper hole that would be more challenging to get out of. It is the same concept as someone with an alcohol problem walking away from the bar.
There are a few things that you can do right away to get onto one of these banned lists:
- Write to the company and ask them to ban your account
- Select an option within the website or app to ban yourself
- Use a service such as DoNotPay to help you get banned
There is so much at stake to leave your account active. Those with a true gambling addiction often tell themselves that they will simply quit and practice self-restraint before things get worse, but only a few can truly pull away for long. Rather than leave it in their own hands, it is best to use the tools that the gambling websites are required to have on their site to get yourself banned instead.
What To Do If You Suspect A Loved One Has A Gambling Addiction?
It is incredibly painful to be in a position where you suspect that a loved one may have a gambling addiction. If you suspect this to be the case, then it likely is the case. They may try to hide the fact that they are in financial distress or that their gambling has gotten out of control. Gamblers are often known to talk about their wins extensively while hiding their losses. That is troubling and challenging behavior that should be recognized for what it is. That is to say that many people with problem gambling issues are not likely to share their problems with just anyone. You will likely have to have strong connections to them emotionally and otherwise to get to the bottom of things.
If you suspect that a loved one has a gambling addiction, you should follow these steps:
- Ask to speak with them privately at a time when you can both sit down and have a serious conversation;
- Bring them your concerns not in an accusatory way, but with words of love;
- Explain that you want to help them and that you know how to do so;
- Share with them the fact that you still love them, but that you need to help them stop this addictive behavior
As you might imagine, these types of conversations are incredibly difficult to have, but they are completely worthwhile. Those who bring their concerns to their loved ones are much more likely to see results than those who try to pretend like these things are not happening. It might feel easier to bury your head in the sand on this issue, but that will never get it solved.
The Guide To Self-Exclusion
If you want to stop gambling but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 6 easy steps:
1. Search Gambling Protection on DoNotPay
2. Enter the name of the casino and indicate whether it's online or in-person
3. Tell us which state the casino is located in, or the state you're accessing the online casino from. DoNotPay will then find your state's self-exclusion laws and reference them in your request.
4. Select how long you want to be banned for (you can choose anywhere from 1 year to a lifetime!)
5. Answer a few of our chatbot questions so we can help the casino identify you or your online account. If you want to be banned from an in-person casino, it helps to provide information about your height, weight, race, and other identifying features.
6. Choose whether you want us to email the request to the casino on your behalf. You can also choose to notarize your document to legally verify your identity.
Using DoNotPay To Self-Exclude
Self-exclusion is the best way to keep yourself off of gambling websites and away from the habit. Unfortunately, there are many gambling websites available at the click of a mouse these days. As such, it might be necessary to use the services of DoNotPay to help you self-exclude across a lot of these websites all at the same time. You don't want to leave any loose ends behind that might make it possible for you to sneak back onto one of these websites. There is a lot of danger that this could happen if you forget to exclude from even a few of them. Rather than take that chance, it is your responsibility to exclude yourself from the dangers of these websites immediately and don't look back.
DoNotPay can help by:
- Ensuring that your account is self-excluded for as long as necessary, even forever
- Make sure you don't have access to create a new account
- Hold the gambling websites to account for holding up their end of the deal to keep you banned
You need to put some of these operations on auto-pilot if you are really going to stay clean from gambling. It is a very hard habit to break, and plenty of people have fallen back into the clutches of gambling behaviors when they haven't done enough to ensure they can stay off of it. Don't let yourself become just another statistic in all of this. You have the power to change your destiny, and you should because:
- You will have less financial stress
- You will have more time to spend on other pursuits
- You won't make a mess of your family life and other important aspects
The time to make positive change is right now, and the best way to do that is to partner with DoNotPay to push yourself in the right direction. You may need an intervention for compulsive gambling to get you there, but it can lead to a much happier life.
Why Use DoNotPay to Self Exclude?
Instead of going to all websites of the online and offline casinos, you can use DoNotPay to ensure that you cover all your bases. We are here to help you get the help you really need.
|Fast||You don’t have to spend hours getting into the banned list or for self-exclusion.|
|Easy||You don’t have to struggle to fill out tedious forms repeatedly to get self exclusion on multiple sites.|
|Successful||You can rest assured knowing we’ll make the best case for you.|
DoNotpay Works Across All Companies/Entities/Groups With the Click of a Button
You don’t have to deal with individual sites for the different casinos in different states. We can help you with self exclusion from Nevada to California. Just tell us where you need to be self excluded and we will ensure that you will have a better chance for recovery.