Find Pension Money Fast—A Detailed Guide to Finding Unclaimed Pension Money
Some of the states with the highest amounts of unclaimed pension money are Ohio, Texas, Michigan, California, and New Jersey. If you think that you or one of your family members could have forgotten pension funds waiting to be claimed, rely on DoNotPay and file your claim in a few clicks. We will help you get all of your hard-earned money and enjoy your retirement stress-free.
What Is Unclaimed Pension Money?
If there hasn’t been any activity on your pension plan for around five years (in most states), your pension money will be considered unclaimed and become the state’s property. Some states have a shorter time-frame. The best option is to check the law of the state in question to find out if your pension funds have been classified as unclaimed.
The money will remain the state’s property until you decide to claim it.
Did you lose track of the pension plan from any job you had? There’s a good chance that you might be entitled to receive unclaimed money.
Why Does Pension Money Go Missing in the First Place?
Losing track of your pension plan can happen for various reasons. It usually occurs because the company you worked for:
- Went out of business
- Merged with another company
- Was bought by another company
- Changed its name
- Moved to a different location
For that reason, keeping up with your pension plan and staying in the loop with the amount that you’re entitled to can be challenging.
Types of Unclaimed Assets
Pension money isn’t the only asset that can be marked as unclaimed. There are many different types of forgotten assets that one can search for and claim.
According to the most popular classification, there are tangible and intangible unclaimed properties, and some of the common ones are:
How To Find Forgotten Pension Money on Your Own
The Pension Benefit Guaranty Company is a government agency dedicated to helping American citizens claim their pension funds. If you want to find unclaimed pension money, you can do so by contacting the PBGC in one of the following ways:
- Give them a call at 1-800-326-LOST (5678)
- Send them a letter to PBGC Pension Search Program, 1200 K Street, NW, Suite 930, Washington, DC 20005-4026
The representative will ask you to provide the following info:
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Address and phone number
- Name of the company in question
- Time during which you worked for the said company
If pension money isn’t the only unclaimed asset you’re interested in searching for, you can find all unclaimed properties under your name in two ways:
- With your state’s dedicated institution. You can find it by visiting the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) website
- By doing a multi-site search on MissingMoney.com
Depending on the option you choose, you should follow these steps:
Why Can’t I Find Unclaimed Funds?
If you’re sure you have unclaimed money but can’t find it, you should do the following:
- Check the spelling
- Change the order of your first and last name
- Try out different name variations, such as using abbreviations (Jr. instead of Junior) or quotation marks
- Make sure the addresses you typed in are correct
- Check the database of other states you lived in
- Make sure you have the right info about your deceased relative if you’re interested in finding unclaimed inheritance money
DoNotPay Offers a Better Solution to Finding and Claiming Unclaimed Pension Money
Do you feel overwhelmed with all the described procedures? DoNotPay is here to do the job for you and save you a lot of time. Our Missing Money feature is designed to help you look for all unclaimed money without taking up more than two minutes of your time.
To take advantage of our tool, do the following:
- Sign in to your DoNotPay account from a web browser
- Select our Missing Money tool
- Type in the necessary info such as your middle name and current and previous addresses
DoNotPay will go through the extensive databases and collect the info regarding your unclaimed funds. We’ll list everything from forgotten paycheck money to unclaimed money from deceased relatives.
Once we present you with all the money you’re entitled to, you can choose our Claim My Property feature, and we will file a claim for you. This feature will save you both time and money since you won’t have to hire someone who will file a claim on your behalf.
Why Don’t People Claim Their Forgotten Funds?
Most Americans aren’t aware of the fact that they have the right to claim forgotten funds whenever they want. This is the common reason why there are so many unclaimed assets in the U.S.
The second common reason is that most people don’t see the point of filing a claim for small amounts of money because they think that the process is too complicated. This is true to some extent, but you can always rely on DoNotPay to find your money and claim it hassle-free.
There are almost 60 billion dollars of unclaimed assets in the U.S. While you probably won’t receive more than 100 dollars, it’s still worth checking if you’re entitled to any type of unclaimed property.
Need Help Dealing With Other Issues? You’ll Love DoNotPay!
Going through the websites dedicated to finding unclaimed money can be time-consuming. DoNotPay will scan all databases, regardless of how many states you lived in. We will help you find unclaimed money in Georgia, Connecticut, Kansas, and any other state that DoNotPay covers.
Besides helping you come into possession of your funds, we can also assist you in dealing with other pesky issues. Log in to your account from a web browser, and allow us to help you:
- Learn how to defend yourself from stalking and harassment
- Keep your inbox free of spam emails for good
- Ask any company for a refund
- Resolve credit card problems
- Unsubscribe from unused subscriptions or memberships
- Dispute parking tickets
- Appeal traffic tickets
- Get in touch with customer care reps without wasting time on-hold
- Contest speeding tickets
- Register for any service without having to verify your phone number
- Bring any firm or person to small claims court and demand justice
- Set up an appointment with the DMV in less than two minutes
- Request refunds and compensation from airlines for delayed or canceled flights
- Register for free trials of any service without the risk of being charged
- Block and report spam text messages
- File a claim for any warranty
- Waive college application fees
- Manage issues with bills you cannot pay
- Find and apply for any medical study
- Report robocalls in a few clicks and request compensation
- Protect your work against copyright violations
- Find and claim any forgotten funds under your name
- Locate your incarcerated loved ones and send them letters hassle-free